The Wheel of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

<b>The Wheel of Time: Robert Jordan, 1948-2007</b><br /><br />After a long and brave fight with amyloidosis, international bestselling fantasy author Robert Jordan (born James Oliver Rigney, Jr.) passed on Sunday afternoon. Jordan's Wheel of Time series had spawned a legion of fans, along with music, websites, and all of the other trappings that come from the kind of success in which an author's imagination transfers itself to his fans. (See a sample YouTube tribute from one fan below.)<br /><br />Jordan had first disclosed his condition through a letter posted on Locus Online and elsewhere in March 2006. In it, he had expressed his determination to beat the disease: "I have thirty more years' worth of books to write even if I can keep from thinking of any more, and I don't intend to let this thing get in my way." Jordan's honest and open approach about his condition helped bring needed attention to amyloidosis, a rare blood disease.<br /><br />According to Wikipedia and his publisher bio, Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina, and served two tours in Vietnam, earning the Distinguished Flying Cross with bronze oak leaf cluster, the Bronze Star with "V" and bronze oak leaf cluster, and two Vietnamese Gallantry Crosses with palm. He later received a degree in physics from The Citadel and worked for the U.S. Navy as a nuclear engineer.<br /><br />Link <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

R

rybanis

Not the biggest fan of his books, but sad nonetheless. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

He had many fans and was an accomplished author. While I did not enjoy his books, I can acknowledge he brought a lot of entertainment into the lives of many people. He will be missed and Sci-Fi/Fantasy has definitely lost a valuable asset. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

W

witgenestone

I used to love Wheel of time. This is absurd, seems like his series never reached the end/new beginning. The wheel of time was indeed finite.<br /><br />Don't forget that he wrote some Conan too.<br /><br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.