The wonders of Venus #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LukeOfTheLocke

Hey guys, I'm in the procces of creating an amature book ( though it would be way cool if it became popular). It has alot to do with Venus. I will most likey be posting a ton of questions on this forum about it so keep and eye open for them ( they will all be titled the same but with a diffrent number...)! I know a fair number of background facts on Venus, but not quite enough to make this book close enough to be even a little factual. ( it will be more of a Sci-Fi, "What If" type of book but I still want to give out real info.)
I do know that Venus is very close to earth (size and mass wise) and my first question is about gravity.
Is the gravitational pull pretty much the same on Venus as Earth? For example, would a 170 pound person way pretty much the same on Venus as on Earth? Is there an equation out there that can determin this?

Thanks guys!
~Luke

Z

ZenGalacticore

Well, Venus is .82 of 1.0 Earth mass. So I'm assuming that one would experience a corresponding .82g of 1g. I would think the slightly less gravity would be hardly noticeable, but it would still be felt somewhat, I suppose.

Now, if we can just get around that Venusian Hell Effect!! :)

How fitting that the planet named for the Goddess of Love turns out to be the most unbearable terrestrial world in the solar system!! A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart! :lol:

L

LukeOfTheLocke

Ah! Thanks for the site nimbus!
Yes ZenGalacticore it is very fitting! ;)

N

nimbus

It doesn't answer your question up above, but it's a great resource if you're writing a book. Thought I'd suggest it.. Have fun :) And we get dibs on manuscript critique :p

I

InnyBinny

ZenGalacticore":u3e48nyv said:
Well, Venus is .82 of 1.0 Earth mass. So I'm assuming that one would experience a corresponding .82g of 1g. I would think the slightly less gravity would be hardly noticeable, but it would still be felt somewhat, I suppose.

How fitting that the planet named for the Goddess of Love turns out to be the most unbearable terrestrial world in the solar system!! A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart! :lol:

Partly...but on the surface you're also a little closer to the centre of mass. It weights 0.815 earths, and has 0.9499 earth radii, so Venus would have a g of:

1*0.815/0.9499^2 [because g is proportional to m and proportional to 1/r^2]

= 0.903 times earth gravity.

So a person of 170 pounds would weigh 154 pounds on Venus.

L

LukeOfTheLocke

Nice! Thanks InnyBinny! and we shall see about that nimbus :D ... I'm a VERY slow writer. Not to mention the story line is still in the works.

B

bdewoody

But the atmospheric pressure would crush you instantly if the heat doesn't burn you first.

Z

ZenGalacticore

InnyBinny":1kj1m4ff said:
ZenGalacticore":1kj1m4ff said:

Partly...but on the surface you're also a little closer to the centre of mass. It weights 0.815 earths, and has 0.9499 earth radii, so Venus would have a g of:

Ah! Point eight one-five... Thank you, Mr. Spock! :lol: (As opposed to .82. :shock: :? :lol: )

Wow! Thank you InnyBinny. I was perhaps confusing actual mass with actual gravity.

Why not keep it simple and say that a girl weighing 100 pounds on Earth would weigh 82 pounds on Venus? (Or thereabouts?)

Z

ZenGalacticore

Hey! Maybe Venus is the Planet of Love, with 90 to 110 pound "spinners" running around naked all over the heated surface of Venus. All getting "tan" and laying out by the sulfuric acid pools! :lol:

Think on it. 150 pound hefers on Earth would be .82 of their weight on Venus!! :cool:

:lol:

And besides, all that planetary heat would burn off the fat real fast!

M

MeteorWayne

Read it again, Zen. When the reduced gravity is combined with the smaller radius, the net weight difference is 0.903.

So the hundred pouind girl weighs 90 pounds.

I

InnyBinny

ZenGalacticore":n6alor6l said:
InnyBinny":n6alor6l said:
ZenGalacticore":n6alor6l said:

Ah! Point eight one-five... Thank you, Mr. Spock! :lol: (As opposed to .82. :shock: :? :lol: )

Wow! Thank you InnyBinny. I was perhaps confusing actual mass with actual gravity.

Why not keep it simple and say that a girl weighing 100 pounds on Earth would weigh 82 pounds on Venus? (Or thereabouts?)

Yeah, I wouldn't go to the trouble of making a post just to add an extra significant figure to the value. ;)

A

andrew_t1000

What is the equivalent depth of water for the atmospheric pressure on Venus?

I was just wondering.
And before some says I'm suggesting using a deep sea armoured diving suit on Venus, forget it!
I asked one of the refrigeration engineers I know how much cooling you would need to keep the inside at 22C in a 600C+ environment.
He flat out said forget it!
Even boiling off liquid helium wouldn't work for more than a few minutes.
About the time it would take to descend your landers ladder!

Z

ZenGalacticore

IIRC, the Russians used circulating liquid nitrogen to cool their Venera lander. It kept it functioning for a few minutes on the surface of Venus, before it was fried and crushed like a pancake.

N

nimbus

nimbus":3e03qb4j said:
That's gotta be wrong. Temperature should be less than 16C, and pressure's gotta be higher. Challenger Deep probes measured ~100 MPa at roughly 30 kft, so 3 kft shouldn't be just 10 MPa less. Or conversely, ~10MPa (the 9.3MPascal reported for Venus surface) should be equivalent to much deeper in earth ocean.

Yeah something's off. WAlpha gives 3000 ft depth for 4C temp and 111 atmospheres.
Standard Earth water data
Venus pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts