These 10 super extreme exoplanets are out of this world

I keep hoping for some inkling of some exoplanet somewhere within 15 ly that just might support H. Sapiens and whatever retinue necessary for an epic adventure. So far what exoplanets that get discovered appear to be out of Dante's Inferno. Oh well.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
sam85geo, of course we are not discovering an average cross section of exoplanets. We are finding those easiest to find with the instrumentation we have. When we can send probes, we will find a better cross-section, but they will take a long time to get there!

Cat :)

Reactions: sam85geo
The 10 list here is fun to read and demonstrates just how different many exoplanets and exoplanet systems can be from Earth and our solar system. Currently this site shows 4801 confirmed now, The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia (exoplanet.eu)

This site shows 4455 exoplanets now, NASA Exoplanet Archive (caltech.edu)

I use both sites and keep my MS ACCESS DB updated as the sites change. There are plenty of examples now of exoplanets very different than Earth and our solar system configuration. The .eu site shows 1312 exoplanets where radius is <= 2 earth radii and average orbital period 13 days. The Nasa site shows 1309 with same radius selection and average orbital period 12.55 days. If you select for masses >= 1.1 Jupiter mass, a large population of exoplanets will pop up :) Hundreds are out there now, the .eu site shows 601, the Nasa site shows 806. The lesson I learned by looking at the data like this, there is no place like home :)

Latest posts