These new photos of SpaceX's giant Starship Booster 9 engine test are just gorgeous

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Reactions: Mergatroid
Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Regarding the launch pad issues, why not suspend the rocket over a cliff or build an elevated launch tower that holds the rocket high enough to mitigate the blast in a normal fashion? Rockets move by differential reaction. It doesn't have to be sitting directly on the ground.

Sep 20, 2020
Visit site
Last photo. Puzzled why the methane (top) section looks blue.
I can only theorize they may have done that to see if there is any frost build up on the surface, would be hard to see if its white against white. Or they just did it to visually identify different sections. 🤷‍♂️

Sep 20, 2020
Visit site
Regarding the launch pad issues, why not suspend the rocket over a cliff or build an elevated launch tower that holds the rocket high enough to mitigate the blast in a normal fashion? Rockets move by differential reaction. It doesn't have to be sitting directly on the ground.
I beleive the Chinese do launch from a structure as you have described. I guess to build a base on a cliff has infrastructure / development and high cost issues. But with what we've seen with bigger rockets and the damage they can do, we may see this more in future.

In the US you cannot launch over land. FL space is all taken, CA can't launch eastward. The little spot on TX right next to MX is about the only other option. Problem there is the water table is at 3 feet.
They chose an elevated platform and built one about 60 feet high. Apparently it was not high enough.

Latest posts