This week on the Space.com forums: Ancient climate, plastic rocket fuel and alien life!

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Whilst I accept that some ice melting (viz Antarctic ice) causes a significant increase in sea level, this is not strictly true of all ice. From Archimedes Principle, ice already floating does not cause an increase in level. (To be completely accurate, it does cause a very small increase, due to ice being pure water only and seawater being salty). If you don't believe me:
Put some ice in a glass of water. As the ice melts, the level does not rise!

If you put ice in salt water, there would be a tiny rise, but too small for you to see in a glass.

Cat :)

P.S. Having said that, global warming will cause an increase in sea level (only a few hundred feet :) ) and cause world-wide flooding.

Jun 4, 2021
Visit site
Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I wonder what the pattern of the exodus from the seaside will take. I reckon the ones being flooded will move to the untouched land nearest the cities. The country as a whole may become more densely packed with people but will it be that noticeable to those who already live inland?

Latest posts