Thusters for space elevator vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nexium

Some or most of the climbers etc on the space elevator should have heavy duty thrusters. These could assist the vehicle cross a damaged portion of the tether/ribbon. They would allow the rollers to pinch perhaps 40% of the ribbon width, so vehicles could pass each other without distorting the ribbon. Thrusters would allow the vehicles to stretch the ribbon speeding up transcients slightly and/or weakening transcients. There is even a slight chance (with thusters) that a vehicle that fell off the ribbon could reatach. Thrusters would allow the vehicle to move even if the laser beam was not hitting the infrared photovoltaic panels. Please comment, refute and/or embellish. Neil

V

vogon13

Having a climber being able to cross a damaged section of filament would be the least of your worries.<br /><br />{think about it}<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

N

nexium

I'm thinking. Either side of the damaged bit of ribbon are likely to be fatal if the ribbon breaks, but rockets have produced some fatalities, so they may be even more dangerous. If this climber is designed to make repairs it may need to cross the damaged section several times to make the repair properly. What else should I think about? Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.