Tiny Time Tunnels?

• Thread starter xXTheOneRavenXx
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xXTheOneRavenXx

Good afternoon all,

Sorry I have been away for quite a while. Just finished up a couple of courses, kids, work, you know... the usual that keeps our daily lives busy. I just finished watching Into The Universe with Stephen Hawking - Time Travel. His topics still intrigue me. As a father of an autistic child, it definitely shows me that anyone is more than capable of being successful, famous, or even the most brilliant no matter their physical limitations. My son is so far doing extremely well in school, and he most certainly has our support to achieve any goal in his life. I see him as an inspiration when improving my own education.

With that said, I couldn't help but notice in his video he mentions about tiny tunnels or shortcuts through space and time that continuously form, disappear, and reform within the quantum world. Though he is also quick to point out that these real-life time tunnels are just a billion trillion trillionths of a centimeter across. Of course way too small for a human to pass through.

Though I have complete respect for Stephen Hawking and don't mean to question his expertise, but if these "time tunnels" do exist, do particles pass through them and how much do we know about them?

For those not familiar with this topic, here is the video i'm talking about:
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/stephen-hawking-time-travel/

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I didn't expect too many people to know the answer to this... if anyone knows the answer yet. I wonder if lightning could have an affect on these and randomly enlarge them for short periods of time.

Y

yevaud

Well...this involves the continual opening and closing of tiny wormholes, at a very small size, on the order of the Planck length. What Hawking is referring to is that it is entirely possible that the endpoints of those wormholes are 1) to another time, 2) to another location within our universe, or 3) even another spacetime.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I know he spoke of a certain type of particle (name escapes me now) that led him to believe what you mentioned that came into existence when particles in the accelerator reached close to light speed. My question I guess is how do these new particles indicate these "time tunnels" exist?

A

acsinnz

xXTheOneRavenXx":yh5bprae said:
I didn't expect too many people to know the answer to this... if anyone knows the answer yet. I wonder if lightning could have an affect on these and randomly enlarge them for short periods of time.

I would expect lightning to use micro magnoflux tunnels rather than tiny time tunnels as it is electro-magnetic.
CliveS

C

crazyeddie

Not to be flip or anything, but when I watched this episode of Steven Hawkings Universe, I couldn't help but think that Irwin Allen got some science right for a change:

titanic_tunnel_web.jpg

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

The same Irwin Allen that passed away in 1991 of a heart-attack?

Y

yevaud

xXTheOneRavenXx":k7hw69mw said:
I know he spoke of a certain type of particle (name escapes me now) that led him to believe what you mentioned that came into existence when particles in the accelerator reached close to light speed. My question I guess is how do these new particles indicate these "time tunnels" exist?

I think what you're referring to are super-symmetric partners to "normal" particles - "Sparticles," in short. They would show confirmation of various aspects of the Standard Model. Which, as far as I know, may p"prove" the existence of wormholes.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

So essentially Sparticles come into existence when a particle is excellerated to near light speed? Or are they already present? Sorry yevaud, this topic does fasinate me of how worm holes could possibly exist... I just have a bit of a hard time understanding how they formed this conclusion based on the existence of sparticles.

Y

yevaud

OK.

(Disregard my commentary on Supersymetric Particles - Sparticles - this apparently does not involve them)

Well, consider that there are particles and forces that we just plain don't see except under certain conditions. They're very rare. That's pretty well understood.

(I did some refreshing of my knowledge of current physics on this). Neutral Kaons (K-Mesons) and their anti particle are odd ducks, not seen really at all (again, except under really rare circumstances). More, they decay in a millionth of a second. However, it's theorized that not only will Kaons be detected at those collision energies produced, that the presence of a wormhole will subtly affect the behavior of the Kaons detected. That can be measured and, hence, used to prove/disprove the presence of a microscopic wormhole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaon

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

Thank you for the link yevaud. The physics is beyond my understanding, however I think I got the basic understanding of it. If I understand this correctly, micro-worm holes appear when a particle is excelled close to light-speed whereas the evidence of the behaviour of the kaon reflects this. Could it be assumed that if many particles within a small area were to be excelled close to light-speed, the micro worm hole would in affect be larger?

Y

yevaud

xXTheOneRavenXx":17grfevw said:
Could it be assumed that if many particles within a small area were to be excelled close to light-speed, the micro worm hole would in affect be larger?

As I understand it, wormholes are physically limited/restricted from growing beyond a certain size. Unless, of course - as has been played around with - some sort of exotic matter or negative energy could be used to sort-of "prop the wormhole entrance open" larger (one of the ideas to perhaps make a wormhole large enough to be useful to us).

A

acsinnz

The idea of time tunnels in space seems incredible but yet light itself moves across space in magnoflux helix tunnels. This hypothesis has been much disputed in the past but researchers who are looking into squeezing more digital information into a fibre optic cable now know that lazer light can be quadrature amplitude modulated. This to me proves that light is a volume beam of magnoflux energy and has nothing to do with classical matter at all. There is an article in theiet.org 20 February 2010 magazine which will enlighten you on this subject.
CliveS

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

So could this suggest that particles have the posibility of transversing through these "portals"? If so that would open a whole new can of worms I'd think. It would also change some theories on the speading of matter throughout the universe or the transversing of matter between parallel universes or even maybe time. Who knows really at this moment. All I know is if it can be proved that time tunnels do in fact exist for certain then no matter what way you look at it, it's going to be exciting and scary.

yevaud I know there is a theorized size limit on these, however isn't that like saying that blackholes should have a size limit? We really can't say for sure... just the physis we now know may be limited on understanding the full processes that would need to take place to enlarge one of these time tunnels. If we do manage to open this doorway, I would hope science would be smart about it. Messing around with time could be very bad.

Y

yevaud

xXTheOneRavenXx":3a6cqe7t said:
If we do manage to open this doorway, I would hope science would be smart about it. Messing around with time could be very bad.

One really hairy theory is based on Kerr's "Many Worlds" theory, which notes that every Quantum event encompasses all possibilities, so each possibility is expressed...somewhere. This suggested an infinite number of nearly identical worldlines: here a particle decayed, there it didn't, in a third the particle wasn't even there, and so on.

The thinking was that acausal events, such as the "Grandfather Paradox" wouldn't happen, since time travel, per se, would be across worldlines, not directly back or forth along your own timeline. So go ahead and kill Grandpa - he's actually not really yours (he's an almost identical duplicate in another worldline).

Really weird, huh? Can't go backwards in your own worldline (physics precludes it), but it may be possible to travel to another time in someone else's worldline.

A

acsinnz

yevaud":20jrjtfj said:
xXTheOneRavenXx":20jrjtfj said:
If we do manage to open this doorway, I would hope science would be smart about it. Messing around with time could be very bad.

One really hairy theory is based on Kerr's "Many Worlds" theory, which notes that every Quantum event encompasses all possibilities, so each possibility is expressed...somewhere. This suggested an infinite number of nearly identical worldlines: here a particle decayed, there it didn't, in a third the particle wasn't even there, and so on.

The thinking was that acausal events, such as the "Grandfather Paradox" wouldn't happen, since time travel, per se, would be across worldlines, not directly back or forth along your own timeline. So go ahead and kill Grandpa - he's actually not really yours (he's an almost identical duplicate in another worldline).

Really weird, huh? Can't go backwards in your own worldline (physics precludes it), but it may be possible to travel to another time in someone else's worldline.

Well, the problem is that there should only be one model for electromagnetic energy; not one for physics, one for radio waves, one for electricity and one for QM. Electromagnetic energy can move at the speed of light and cannot be a particle but is magnetic energy.
Maths from Euler formula proves that electromagnetic energy is 3 dimensional as well demonstrated in wikipedias version. The resultant of the 2 quadrature modulation waves is a helix which is the outside of the magnoflux tunnel created by the photons as they move through a volume of magnetized space. Any physics model of EM light that is not 3D is extremely suspect.
CliveS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts