Tom Hanks From the Earth to the Moon - dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holmec

I was looking for a post in this, but all I found was of the 3D Tom Hanks did on moon walks.<br /><br />Anyway. I am so blown away with this set of 6 DVDs having one hour episodes depicting the stories and background stories of what went on in the appollo project.<br /><br />I have not finished them. But I have to say the most emotional (good feeling emotions) so far has been the episode Spider. Its about the LM or LEM, and a job well concieved and done out of a radical way (some may have said a crazy way) of going to the moon. And the LM is a thing that was not based on looks or shape but on function and weight. Sure it came out looking like something no one would imagine, but it had inovations, like a thin skin, small windows pointing down, standing to land, and a new way of flying (even if it was just over the moon).<br /><br />Apollo 8. An idea to get ahead of the Russians, gave us our first far away shot of Earth. And we have never felt so small. And we now know how good the "Good Earth" (from the crew) is.<br /><br />Of course it depicted the Apollo 1 mishap. Through that I got a better understanding of Gus Grissom. I think NASA owes a lot to Gus. He found problems, and he didn't seem to care what others thought, he still pressed on. Planners may not like that, but it serves a real need in finding things that no one has ever thought of just by trying the equipment and giving it your all.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

R

rocketwatcher2001

I do not yet own the serries, but a friend of mine let me borrow his VHS tapes about a year ago. It was a very good series, and I will buy it one day. What I just bought was Apollo 13, the directors cut, and you can watch it with ongoing commentary by Jim Lovell and his wife, plus a lot of other extras.<br /><br />Awesome. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

holmec

>What I just bought was Apollo 13, the directors cut, and you can watch it with ongoing commentary by Jim Lovell and his wife, plus a lot of other extras. <<br /><br />Yes I have that as well. Commentaries and interviews are really good. <br /><br />I didn't realize that From The Earth To The Moon was that old. I don't get HBO, so I didn't even know it existed until a couple of weeks ago. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

H

henryhallam

I really love the LM. It is probably my favourite piece of engineering from the whole programme.

R

rsp1202

I'm remembering episodes from original DVD set:<br /><br />"Spider" hit all the right notes. McDivitt rules!<br /><br />From either first or second disc, Slayton addressing the astonauts in his office: "...the first man on the moon is looking at me right now. And the second...and the third."<br /><br />Alongside the closing credits, the tribute to all the Apollo crews and their missions.<br /><br />Finally, the theme music. Almost as rousing as "The Right Stuff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts