Total Recall...another remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starsinmyeyes44

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEFyobutLTUsJJ

"November 13th, 2010

Colin Farrell is offered Total Recall

A few weeks back, Colin Farrell was reported to be in the lead for Sony Pictures' Total Recall remake/reboot. Variety now says that the role has been officially offered to the actor, and that Farrell is currently negotiating to take over a character originated by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1990 original.

Colin will play Douglas Quaid, a man tortured by recurring dreams of a trip to Mars. Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender have also recently been tied to the lead in this second adaptation of Philip K. Dick's "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale."

Len Wiseman is set to direct from a script by Kurt Wimmer, with the pair bringing a more grounded, contemporary take on the material.

Total Recall comes to theaters in 2011. The film is directed by Len Wiseman."

M

Mee_n_Mac

TR wasn't exactly a high point in the pantheon of SF films. Why would anyone do a remake ?

On the other hand it could be that the remake will be better than the original. Now that would be original !

M

Mee_n_Mac

silylene":3bv9x7ik said:
I liked the original Total Recall.

I liked it too, for what it was. An semi-goofy action flick with a SF bent for Arnold to be in. I just don't see it being a basis for a remake. It wasn't War of the Worlds or even Outland. Has it achieved some cult following I'm not aware of ?

But it must have done enough box office that some producer thought it could be recycled to make more $$.

I'd rather see something from the Man-Kzin Wars storyline for an action/military SF flick.

D

docm

My understanding is that this verdion will be closer to Philip K. Dick's original short story We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

When: 2012 (IMDB, but MovieWeb says 2011)

Studio: Columbia

Director: Len Wiseman (Underworld series, Hawaii Five-O TV)

Producer: Neil H. Moritz (Evan Almighty, I Am Legend, The Big "C" - TV, Green Hornet, Luke Cage)

Characters: Philip K. Dick

Adaptation/screenplay: Kurt Wimmer (Equiblium, Law Abiding Citizen, Thomas Crown Affair)

Quaid (Quail?): Colin Farrell

S

Skyskimmer

Mee_n_Mac":723mv02t said:
silylene":723mv02t said:
I liked the original Total Recall.

I liked it too, for what it was. An semi-goofy action flick with a SF bent for Arnold to be in. I just don't see it being a basis for a remake. It wasn't War of the Worlds or even Outland. Has it achieved some cult following I'm not aware of ?

But it must have done enough box office that some producer thought it could be recycled to make more $$.

I'd rather see something from the Man-Kzin Wars storyline for an action/military SF flick.

It's pretty huge among fans of arnold, and most people. It's not a good sci fi, but it has loads of potential to be redone by an actor that can actually act.

N

neomaine

I don't know, he did a pretty good job as he was pulling the tracking device from his skull.

S

StarRider1701

I too liked Total Recall. I enjoyed that movie, despite the way out, impossible ending and the wierd and unlikely mutants. Not sure we need another one, tho. :roll:

F

FictionBecomesFact

Collin Ferrell starred in the 2005 movie A New World (pertaining to the colonization of Jamestown, Va., which recently enjoyed its 400th anniversary):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=newworld.htm

It bombed, especially for a movie with seemingly soooo much commercial potential (a la Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas & also Last of the Mohicans). This makes me apprehensive about the reported casting selection.

At any rate, filming technology has come a long way since Total Recall's 1990 release date, as anyone who saw Avatar in 3D can confirm...

How would bringing the story closer to Philip K. Dick's "We Can Remember it for you Wholesale" change the story significantly? I ask this question from the standpoint of someone who hasn't read that particular story (although I did read the Total Recall book based on the 1990 movie, a book which was unnecessarily pretentious at times due to the author's trying to seem overly sophisticated, to the detriment of the overall story).

J

JonClarke

Dick' story came down firmly in the "this is real", whereas the movie left it more open. Dick had great ideas, but I think the execution was often sloppy

The supposed defects of the story - the impossible alien technology, unlikely mutants, exploding bodies, windows that can be shattered by bullets all make sense if the story all takes place inside his head. After all, by the end of the story he has everything he paid for. It all makes it much more interesting too.

T

tom_hobbes

As Jon said, there really are no fantastic doings on mars, the remainder of the film after Quaid visits total Recall, is his virtual holiday.

S

Skyskimmer

JonClarke":1d0e5948 said:
Dick' story came down firmly in the "this is real", whereas the movie left it more open. Dick had great ideas, but I think the execution was often sloppy

The supposed defects of the story - the impossible alien technology, unlikely mutants, exploding bodies, windows that can be shattered by bullets all make sense if the story all takes place inside his head. After all, by the end of the story he has everything he paid for. It all makes it much more interesting too.
Thanks for spoiling the movie. :x As we all know that's what's gonna be done.

T

tom_hobbes

Point one the film is two decades old, if you haven't seen it after twenty years I don't think you can howl spoiler with any fairness.

Point two, the film is open to interpretation and if you haven't seen it yet, from all the descriptions so far, you'd still have no idea what to expect, trust me.

S

Skyskimmer

tom_hobbes":qo4kz6jc said:
Point one the film is two decades old, if you haven't seen it after twenty years I don't think you can howl spoiler with any fairness.

Point two, the film is open to interpretation and if you haven't seen it yet, from all the descriptions so far, you'd still have no idea what to expect, trust me.
Sorry thought you meant that's how they should end the movie, I watched it up until there faces expanded to ballons than I turned it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.