Travelling to Venus

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Elon Musk recently revealed that Space X is about to send the crewed mission to Mars. A lot of people ask the same question all the time. Why NASA and Space X is so obsessed with Mars's colonization when Venus is more like Earth and the distance to this planet is shorter?
The answer is very simple.
The surface of Venus has a very thick atmosphere and pressure (equivalent to being thousands of feet underwater) and a surface temperature of nearly 900° F. Venus is about the same size as Earth but otherwise, Mars is a lot more similar. We have the ability to survive in enclosures on the Martian surface but Venus is beyond our capabilities.
Distance is not a good way to determine the difficulty of traveling to another planet, as objects in space do not experience friction or drag and so they do not suffer from being slowed down like travel on Earth. The difficulty is instead determined by the energy required to change orbits and, in this case, Mars and Venus both require about the same amount of energy to reach.
If you have something to add, please welcome)

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
It has been pointed out elsewhere that, several miles up in the clouds, the temperature and pressure are Earthlike. The difficulty is then the sulphuric acid 'rain' in the clouds. Theoretically a balloon could survive there, inhabited by humans, if the balloon is resistant to the acid. A hole in the fabric would not be immediately disastrous because the pressure would be equal in and out. It could be mended (hopefully automatically) as long as the hole did not turn into a rip or long tear.
I don't know how useful such a balloon would be, that is if manned, as any measurements could probably be done in an unmanned balloon. There is also the problem of betting the balloon there and inflating it. Would a spaceship have to 'hover' whilst this operation took place?

I wonder which is easier to reach Venus or Mars? Mars is almost twice as far away when comparing the distance of each at their closest point to us. But traveling inward that would allow an orbit may be more difficult for Venus, perhaps. It's probably an interesting story.

The time factor is an issue, unfortunately, due to solar storms. The longer the trip the more protection (ie shielding weight) will be required, I suppose.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Helio, I think the problem going to Venus or Mercury is stopping when you get there. It is explained elsewhere that it takes the same time getting to Venus or Mars. The fuel required stopping at the inner planets is enormous, so complicated trajectories are required to reduce this. That is, as I recall the argument.

Cat :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Helio
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
It has been pointed out elsewhere that, several miles up in the clouds, the temperature and pressure are Earthlike.

What about wind speed and turbulence? Wind speeds at the cloud layer are about 360 Km/h. There is also a strong vertical component where the layers circulate. The ballon would be smacked around violently. The very strong vertical air currents could cause the balloon to be crushed or popped.

You should not expect the air above a 900F surface to be stable.

Reactions: invisibleman_24