Trees to be grown on Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rogers_buck

"A new project from Nasa and three Mexican universities will grow trees on Mars."<br />LINK<br />

R

roguesaint

What sort of nutrients is Mars soil going to provide? Nitrates? From where? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rogers_buck

I don't really have any. I'm somewhat flabbergasted. I'm surprised that anyone would thing that trees would grow on mars, but I don't know enough about it to be certain. I'm hoping to find out what others think to form an opinion.

R

rogers_buck

Welcome back. Bout time. Anyway, from what I have seen the martian soil is a combination of a stink bomb and pool chlorine. I don't see how anything could grow there any more than the barren deserts of the Chile. Go figure.

B

bobvanx

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>I'm somewhat flabbergasted.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>They can't grow trees on Mars. The sterilization procedures required by the planetary protection protocols will kill the seeds.

T

toymaker

I think its some misunderstanding.Probably they are making experiments with trees that can survive in low oxygen, low fertility soil etc.

R

rogers_buck

Ah, poems are made by fools like me,<br />But it takes an idiot journalist to screw up a story about a martian tree.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts