Trojan alert when connecting to Space.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saturnfly

That's what happened this morning throughout multiple attempts... The virus program I use detected a trojan every time I tried to connect to the site, I'm just wondering if this happened to any one else, or just me and why...

M

MeteorWayne

What program do you use?

No problems for me (currently norton) so far...

A

a_lost_packet_

Saturnfly":20pispdg said:
That's what happened this morning throughout multiple attempts... The virus program I use detected a trojan every time I tried to connect to the site, I'm just wondering if this happened to any one else, or just me and why...

Operating system, AV program, Browser, Warning text?

False positives happen all the time. But, then again, google-ads have been infected as well. Most likely it was a false positive but, it pays to be sure.

Make sure you have all the latest updates for your OS/AV/Browser,etc.

But, any more specific info available?

S

Saturnfly

I use avast! and it had never notified me of a trojan before, whilst coming to this site. I searched the forums and it seems other people got the same alert last year.

All it said was a trojan had been blocked from www.space.com... meanwhile SDC loaded straight away and looked pretty different, more empty... Which is unusual because it usually takes about 5-10 seconds to load.

M

Mee_n_Mac

Saturnfly":oxhvlnas said:
I use avast! and it had never notified me of a trojan before, whilst coming to this site. I searched the forums and it seems other people got the same alert last year.

All it said was a trojan had been blocked from http://www.space.com... meanwhile SDC loaded straight away and looked pretty different, more empty... Which is unusual because it usually takes about 5-10 seconds to load.

I saw this once, about 2 weeks ago, when using a new work PC. I don't know the particulars of that machine. I've not seen it on other PCs I use. It sure was disurbing.

D

doublehelix

I've forwarded the contents of this thread on to our helpdesk. Thank you for posting about it! And apologies for the inconvenience.

-dh

A

abq_farside

Saturnfly":nq4d2lks said:

All it said was a trojan had been blocked from http://www.space.com... meanwhile SDC loaded straight away and looked pretty different, more empty... Which is unusual because it usually takes about 5-10 seconds to load.

I saw the same thing one two different systems (XP, Vista) both running IE8. And this happened about 2-3 weeks ago.

M

Mee_n_Mac

Just 20 mins ago while listing the threads in the Politics forum I got ...

1) a malformatted page (2x) and a ..
2) virus alert (2x)

Details from the AV notice ...

Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
Event: Security Risk Found!
Risk: Bloodhound.Exploit.288
File: C:\Documents and Settings\{deleted by moi}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\87B36OL9\newplayer[1].pdf
Computer: {deleted by moi}
User: {deleted by moi}
Action taken: Quarantine succeeded : Access denied
Date found: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:23:04 AM

Again newplayer(1).pdf was identified as the offending file.

C

Couerl

I've seen the "SNSIcon.exe" bug here twice, "your antivirus software is out of date" blah, blah, but it is easily avoidable.
Sometimes these things have nothing to do with the site itself, but rather your connection to it.

J

Joshua99

Those of you who are experiencing this issue, Please send a log file to jborglund@toptenreviews, and please include your operating system (Windows XP , Vista, 7), and what AV Software you are running including the version.

Thank you!

Joshua Borglund
It Department

D

doublehelix

I've forwarded these two posts to the helpdesk. Thanks for reporting, and apologies for the scare.

-dh

B

bushwhacker

I Got a warning when i first tried to sign in today. A popup saying i was infected, i closed it out but it still tryed to load some anti virus thing. I stopped that and restarted the browser, so far seems clear. Using IE8 WinXP and AVG AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts