UFOs and UAP: History, sightings and mysteries

Recently I watched a show on UAPs and some references to the recent Pentagon report. It was on the SCI channel. Someone claimed to clock a UAP (on a navy ship) with radar that descended from 28,000 feet to sea level in less than one second. I do not know if the claim is factual. That UAP would drop at nearly escape velocity of earth, measured in km/s and then shoot off in another direction. The time provided in this descent calculated to some 36,000 fps rate so very close or faster than 11 km/s. This is the only *hard* metric I have encountered so far for speeds of UAPs - clearly reported. The presentation I watched could be all wrong here too. Here is what I observed recently while viewing the Moon close to Last Quarter phase. This was the morning of 28-Oct-2021.

[Observed 0900-1000 EDT/1300 UT - 1400 UT. Last Quarter Moon 28-Oct-2021 2005 UT/1605 EDT. Enjoyable morning views of the Last Quarter Moon at 31x. Crater details along terminator line like Eratosthenes, Archimedes, Plato, and in the south limb, Moretus crater distinct. Near 0953 EDT/1353 UT, a high-altitude jet leaving a contrail flew across the FOV traveling south, straight across the Moon. Quite a view of the jet and Moon :) This confirms that the Moon is farther away from Earth than jets fly above the Earth :) Virtual Moon Atlas reports the angular size of the Moon 30.46 arcminutes. At 31x, the telescope FOV ~ 1.6 arcminutes. The telescope view resolved ~ 9.6 arcsecond on the lunar surface or about 18 km diameter. 1 arcsecond resolution about 1.9 km diameter given the Moon's distance near 392250 km. There were cirrus clouds this morning with light winds from NE at 3 knots and temperature near 13/14C. Easy morning viewing.]

When it comes to these UAPs buzzing *all around*, I would think many amateur telescope users would be reporting an abundance of sightings given the popular reporting while they observe from many different locations all over the earth :)

Reactions: sam85geo
Read on for a brief history of UFO sightings, potential explanations for them, and cultural attitudes toward the phenomenon.

UFOs and UAP: History, sightings and mysteries : Read more
The vast majority of these "sightings", if not all them, especially the ones provided by the military, have been debunked by people using facts and science. Many channels on youtube are run specifically by people debunking nonsense like this.
I don't understand why it is that people seem to need aliens and boogymen in this world. Is existence not fascinating enough without having to inject fantasy?
As for not dismissing aliens or alien craft, I dismiss things that are unlikely in the extreme.
Does anyone think these craft couldn't be created by magical fairies? I mean, if they have been around all this time, right from our earliest ancestors, why wouldn't they have developed technology? Especially after watching humans do it? They could have both technology and fairy magic.
Fairies are about as realistic as aliens are considering the vast distances they would need to travel to get here. And that is being generous also considering the radiation they would have to go through. This would require huge shielded craft. Not what people "see" in their "sightings".
It's no wonder we have republicans who still think the election was stolen when we actually have people wondering around thinking aliens are here. Human brains have ways to evolve before they're completely rational.

Another problem with UFO/UAP reports, they are not repeatable science. When I use my telescope to view Jupiter and the Galilean moons, this is repeatable science including repeated views of moons like Io or Ganymede. Observing the same UFO/UAP event, over and over again does not seem to be *logged* :)