Upcoming 40th anniversary of not walking on the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shalrath

1972.jpg

Here's a picture I made. It might be a little depressing to anyone old enough to recognize these images though.

Enjoy.

J

jimglenn

Re: Upcoming 40th anniversary of walking on the moon

Is that Jane Fonda in the first pic?

WE SHOULD HAVE SENT HER TO THE MOON, without an oxygen tank, for sitting on the enemy AA battery.

The moon landings were great, it showed that back then America could get things done.

Did you hear they are extending the shuttle flights? Just can't keep that old beast down. Who needs
Soyuzs anyway? :p

S

Shalrath

Yep, that's her. Every picture in there came from (roughly) 1972, or is representative of that particular period. The OPEC oil embargo was more of a 1973 thing though, and apparently disco didn't catch on until the late 70's. Oops.

There you have it. Walking on the moon is older than disco.

G

Gravity_Ray

1. Hanoi Jane: that *****.
2. MWOM first published 72... sigh...
3. OPEC Embargo
4. I think thats the TI SR52 first pocket calculator, if not then the next model.
5. Saturn V
6. 1970 Nixon meets Presley because Presley wanted to be an agent for the narcotics department (talk about putting the fox in charge of the hen house).
7. Kasparov v. Fischer I cant remember the date though.
8. cant tell if thats an IBM computer or not, but sure looks like a 70s computer.
9. Nixon for President, Good bye Apollo program.
10. PONG.... never again will such a boring game be such a sensation.
11. Saturday Night Fever... I remember as a kid thinking, Wow its that easy to have sex? I still listen to the Bee Gees and feel young.
12. The God Father, the best movie of its time and probably of all time.
13. I say 1, 2, 3 what are we fighting for? Dont ask me I dont give a damn.. Next stop is Vietnam.
14. 1973 Dark Side of the Moon, I think that year or the next I discovered pot.
15. I cant figure out the last one. What is it?

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

S

Shalrath

Gravity_Ray":frled8hj said:
Oh I almost forgot. We did walk on the Moon.

Yes indeed. Unfortunately, 1973 onward was pretty far into the territory of not walking on the moon.

If anyone tells you we need further technological advancements to tackle spaceflight - show them this picture.

S

Shalrath

Gravity_Ray":1xzi8cd8 said:
6. 1970 Nixon meets Presley because Presley wanted to be an agent for the narcotics department (talk about putting the fox in charge of the hen house).
They kept that picture under wraps until 1972. Technicality. heh.

Gravity_Ray":1xzi8cd8 said:

OSMlogo.png

What, that?

Oh, just some logo for a non-profit organization that's planning to offer a web-based engineering-oriented collaborative development environment, expertise-matching social network, knowledge base of scientific and engineering standards, and a project development pipeline for the express purpose of developing any missions/vehicles/equipment/procedures/infrastructure to support a public space venture - by means of offering collaborative services to the public and existing space organizations/companies, direct public involvement with the development process, a democratic system of prioritizing project funding requests (not to mention a source of income for freelance autocad/catia/solidworks/photoshop professionals), and providing in-depth education to the public at large about applied space sciences.

Considering that we currently spend more money on cell phones in a year than the Apollo program spent in a decade, it stands to reason that a public movement might bring to bear more money, brainpower, and initiative than any existing government agency, space organization, or company could hope to muster - and steamroll over the cumulative sum of all space travel efforts to date.

Just don't mention "tourism" around them. They hate that.

J

jimglenn

It still costs millions or billions of dollars to get to space, ask the paypal guy, or Rutan, well he just got close

so far. Virgin. I am too chicken to fly on any of those, give me a good old Saturn V, never blew up like the stuff today.

S

Shalrath

jimglenn":34entbxz said:
It still costs millions or billions of dollars to get to space, ask the paypal guy, or Rutan, well he just got close

so far. Virgin. I am too chicken to fly on any of those, give me a good old Saturn V, never blew up like the stuff today.

It cost a significant fraction of all industrialized countries' GDP; cumulative, between today and the time the transistor was invented, to develop the cell phone in your pocket.

Cost is a non-issue if you have a large enough market.

V

vogon13

The calculator is an HP35.

IIRC, they run around $400 back then.

I had an HP25 and then later, an HP41CV, replaced that with the HP41CX, which I still have and use from time to time.

B

bdewoody

Living in central Florida I went over and watched all of the Apollo launches from as close as one could get off base. The Saturn V was so slow building up momentum, it just seemed to hang there over the launch pad forever. By comparrison the shuttle zips off the launch pad.

S

Shalrath

MeteorWayne":2s11a1cg said:
You mean upcoming in 2 years right?

Yes. By December of 2012, we will have gone 40 years without landing on the moon.

This picture isn't meant to be pretty.

S

StarRider1701

Shalrath":3t0fgyow said:
OSMlogo.png

Oh, just some logo for a non-profit organization that's planning to offer a web-based engineering-oriented collaborative development environment, expertise-matching social network, knowledge base of scientific and engineering standards, and a project development pipeline for the express purpose of developing any missions/vehicles/equipment/procedures/infrastructure to support a public space venture - by means of offering collaborative services to the public and existing space organizations/companies, direct public involvement with the development process, a democratic system of prioritizing project funding requests (not to mention a source of income for freelance autocad/catia/solidworks/photoshop professionals), and providing in-depth education to the public at large about applied space sciences.

What is the name of the company, please? Why would they hate tourism? It would seem to me that any reason for putting people/industry/infrastructure in orbit is as good as any other. And the tourist industry is universal to all nations and is a multi-billion dollar industry. A perfect place to gain fundage from since there are always folk looking for the latest, greatest, newest-wow places to go...

Are they associated with Space.com? The logo looks like the SDC crescent moon turned on its side with those three upward shooting lines through it. "Outward and Onward!"

J

jim48

A year ago I posted a thread in The Unexplained called Moon Landings Faked? Some interesting responses. ;)

C

CalliArcale

After all the excitement of the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11 last year, this is a very sobering thought: that it will soon be 40 years since anyone touched the Moon, or even flew above low Earth orbit.

What gives me hope is that NASA never gives up completely. They've pushed new frontiers with robotic spacecraft, and despite having to shut down the Shuttle program (the sudden political efforts to save it are idiotic -- where were all these politicians five years ago, when it would have made an actual difference? it's too late now), is studying ways to access the ISS and even expand it until Congress and the White House stop jerking them around and give them a straight answer as to what they're supposed to be doing. (Which is good, because Congress and the White House will probably jerk NASA around indefinitely.)

We'll get back to the Moon, and we'll get to Mars. I just hope it's in our lifetimes.

S

Shalrath

StarRider1701":vx75aid3 said:
Shalrath":vx75aid3 said:
OSMlogo.png

What is the name of the company, please? Why would they hate tourism? It would seem to me that any reason for putting people/industry/infrastructure in orbit is as good as any other. And the tourist industry is universal to all nations and is a multi-billion dollar industry. A perfect place to gain fundage from since there are always folk looking for the latest, greatest, newest-wow places to go...

Are they associated with Space.com? The logo looks like the SDC crescent moon turned on its side with those three upward shooting lines through it. "Outward and Onward!"

That would be the Open Space Movement.

The OSM is not completely opposed to tourism, but prefers to see it play a niche role in the development of space. Otherwise, it's abhorrent to consider a future where space access is the sole domain of wealthy vacationauts. Space tourism seems to be creating an unhealthy stereotype of being the only way for the public to get into space, and that is pretty much crippling the public's interest.

As for the associations, we have no formal ties to space.com at this time. That will likely change in the near future.

The logo is based off an older logo, which was drawn back in 2000 or 2001.

oldlogo.png

S

StarRider1701

Shalrath":1a0z8kkq said:
That would be the Open Space Movement.

The OSM is not completely opposed to tourism, but prefers to see it play a niche role in the development of space. Otherwise, it's abhorrent to consider a future where space access is the sole domain of wealthy vacationauts. Space tourism seems to be creating an unhealthy stereotype of being the only way for the public to get into space, and that is pretty much crippling the public's interest.

Crippling the public's interest? I was totally overjoyed when I first found out that one could pay $20 Million bucks and buy a ride in a spaceship!!! To me that was the greatest thing since sliced bread because of what it harolded.
Consider - 100 years ago who rode in Cruise ships? The elite, the wealthy, the privilidged. Any commoners aboard were either crew to serve the elite or packed in below decks like cargo. Today nearly everyone can affoard a Cruise. I've been on two myself. And even though I'm not rich, they sure treated me as if I were! Point is, today the cost of space tourism is so high that only a few can afford it. Once there is a demand and someone supplying that demand, costs will always come down, which will spark more demand, which will give the industry incentive to bring costs down further... And so on, and so on.
As I said before, ANYTHING that puts people and infrastructure into space is great! Because once private industry starts going there for any reason, it won't be long before we can go there for every reason.

Thanks for the heads up on the Open Space Movement. I'll have to go check out your website.

S

Shalrath

Not everyone has 20 million dollars.

Or 100 years worth of patience.

M

Mee_n_Mac

Gravity_Ray":2n9loqa3 said:
1. Hanoi Jane: that *****.
2. MWOM first published 72... sigh...
3. OPEC Embargo
4. I think thats the TI SR52 first pocket calculator, if not then the next model.
5. Saturn V
7. Kasparov v. Fischer I cant remember the date though.
8. cant tell if thats an IBM computer or not, but sure looks like a 70s computer.
9. Nixon for President, Good bye Apollo program.
10. PONG.... never again will such a boring game be such a sensation.
11. Saturday Night Fever... I remember as a kid thinking, Wow its that easy to have sex? I still listen to the Bee Gees and feel young.
12. The God Father, the best movie of its time and probably of all time.
13. I say 1, 2, 3 what are we fighting for? Dont ask me I dont give a damn.. Next stop is Vietnam.
14. 1973 Dark Side of the Moon, I think that year or the next I discovered pot.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Pretty good ! I think vogon mentioned the calculator (HP) but let me take a guess at the computer. The monitor is all wrong for anything from IBM (or DEC) of that era, waaaay to stylish. Too me it smacks of something from Xerox PARC and I'm pretty sure it's their personal workstation, the Alto (1973).

And terrorist Khalid Jawad at the 72 Munich Olympics is there after the Godfather poster.

I also had no idea as to what the last symbol was, until it was revealed by the OP. (and even after)

S

StarRider1701

Shalrath":7g8gocqz said:
Not everyone has 20 million dollars.

Or 100 years worth of patience.

True, but today patience is our only real choice. If NASA hadn't wasted untold billions of dollars over the last 40 years we could already have a real space station up there as well as a good way to reach it. Getting NASA and space activities out of the hands of the idiot Politicians is the first priority. Now I've heard (here in another thread) that the Obama idiot wants NASA to deal with race relations between us and the Muslum countries! Whatever the hell that has to do with space and finding better ways to go and live there. Don't get me started on NASA!

Point is, we've spent several gazillion dollars and still have nothing in the way of infrastructure that should have been there if NASA hadn't been run by idiots. Since we still have to build that infrastructure, then it will take that kind of time. And any reason for doing so is a good one.

S

Shalrath

The OSM does not depend upon NASA, although they may be very helpful. I have talked with some of the fellows over there who are willing to help with our project development standards, and knowledge base data population.

The purpose of the OSM is to tell the public that there is an alternative to waiting around. Impatience is a key driving force, as far as we're concerned.

I've heard about this debacle over NASA's side directive to reach out to muslim nations. I'm not sure I understand exactly what that entails, but I'm not terribly concerned about it. The OSM plans to be nation-agnostic to begin with, so we have no qualms about letting people of other nationalities participate directly with us.

Besides, we all come from the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts