Updated List of Dwarf Planets (unofficial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rhm3

Interesting paper on the methods of figuring out which KBOs are dwarf planets.<br /><br />http://www.sc.eso.org/santiago/science/OPSWorkshop/Contributions/Oral/S2_Tancredi_talk.pdf<br /><br />According to this there are 13 certain dwarf planets and 24 other uncertain candidates. I also found it noteworthy that 2002 UX25 is not ellipsoidal (and thus not a dwarf planet) even with an estimated diamter near 800km.<br /><br />On that note, one question for anyone: would Iapetus be denied dwarf planet status if it was orbiting the Sun? I understand it's not completely spherical but on imagery it still seems to have the ellispoidal shape. <br /><br />Rob

M

MeteorWayne

An interesting proposal; not sure I agree with all of it, but worth having a discussion about. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Any idea where the talk was given? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.