US Space Force's 1st official painting shows military space plane intercepting adversary satellite

Well, things may get more "actiony" as combatant spacecraft get within range to capture or damage opponents.

And, in that case, something that looks like a crewed space vehicle is at a disadvantage due to size of target, mass to maneuver, and fragility of the humans aboard.

I would expect a robotic craft, directed from the ground but with a lot of AI augmentation, and weapons ranging from what amounts to a can of spray paint to something more exotic such as a high intensity laser or a rail gun. But, a simple .50 cal rifle could do, provided the craft is designed to deal with the recoil.

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
I'm not sure how this addresses what I said. My point is that they shouldn't be depicting a complete work of fiction and calling it representative of the Space Force's mission.
Perhaps if you read the entirety of the article, to wit:

"Painting a purely notional space plane wasn't easy, artist Herter said, because he had very little reference material to work with. "The most challenging projects are when a client gives the artist a general concept of what they want but can't give specifics," Herter said in the statement. "

and ...

"While the U.S. Space Force has created units dedicated solely to targeting adversary satellites, its exact orbital warfare capabilities remain unknown because they're highly classified like most U.S. military space assets. "

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
United States Space Operations Command revealed its first official painting, which depicts a "futuristic intercept vehicle" engaging an adversary satellite in orbit above Earth.

US Space Force's 1st official painting shows military space plane intercepting adversary satellite : Read more
For 13 years the X37B has been up there all by itself on months to years-long missions. I wonder if it spent any time putting little KA-POW boxes next to potentially enemy satellites?

Latest posts