Vandenberg and Ares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Do you see Vandenberg launching either version of Ares? I assume if they did, it would be cargo only and into a polar orbit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

P

propforce

You'll have to ask yourself this question "what would a polar orbit accomplish from a space exploration point of view?". <br /><br />Another word, since our near term is going back to the Moon, how would a launch from Vandenberg an advantage to the Moon orbit as oppose to launching from Cape Canveral? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

I figured someone might see an advantage to the Ares over other launchers for the stuff that Vandenberg already launches. I did not expect them to launch something directly related to NASA's programs. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

P

PistolPete

Not only no, but hell no!<br /><br />First of all, after the SLC-6/Shuttle SNAFU I doubt that the Air Force would want to touch another NASA joint project with a 10 ft pole. Billions of dollars down the drain.<br /><br />There is absolutely no reason to use the Ares I or V rockets from Vandenberg. The Ares I can lift a proposed 24,500 kg payload into LEO. The Delta IV Heavy can lift a 25,800 kg payload into the same orbit. So why would anyone want to spend billions of dollars to build a new launch pad for a rocket that can deliver less payload that the current LVs at twice the price?<br /><br />As for the Ares V, unless you can find a reason for launching a Skylab-sized space station into polar orbit, then there is no reason for it at Vandenberg. Besides, SLC-6 (the former Shuttle launch pad ad Vandenberg) is now being used by Boeing for the Delta IV, so that means that yet another multi-billion dollar launch pad will have to be built. So Ares at Vandenberg has about a snowball's chance in hell of ever seeing fruition. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

J

josh_simonson

I could see Aries V launching a 'rods from god' kind of platform, but it wouldn't have to go to a polar orbit to be able to reach most worthy targets.

P

PistolPete

A "rods from god" platform wouldn't require that much rocket. And I wouldn't recommend building one big enough to fill a rocket that big. It's not wise to put all of your eggs in one basket like that. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

L

lampblack

Rods from God wouldn't make much sense in any case. The Chinese would just shoot it out of the sky -- along with the accompanying multi-billion-dollar investment. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

D

docm

The Chinese have demonstrated the ability to shoot down a decrepit weather satellite that was a sitting duck. I would hope that a rods-from-god platform would be a launch-on-need device and, to a degree, maneuverable. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

josh_simonson

It'd be an act of war to shoot it down. They wouldn't dare. They can mollest their own satelites all they want, but when it comes to someone elses, that's another story.

V

vulture2

>>The Ares I can lift a proposed 24,500 kg payload into LEO. The Delta IV Heavy can lift a 25,800 kg payload into the same orbit.<br /><br />I believe the payloads you give for the Ares and Delta IV are the numbers in pounds, not kilograms. But I agree that since there is already an operational Delta IV pad at Vandenberg the DOD would certainly not pay for the immense infrastructure needed to support the Ares.<br /><br />

P

propforce

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>>>The Ares I can lift a proposed 24,500 kg payload into LEO. The Delta IV Heavy can lift a 25,800 kg payload into the same orbit. <br /><br />I believe the payloads you give for the Ares and Delta IV are the numbers in pounds, not kilograms.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />No. Pete is correct. It would be over 50,000 lbm on the Delta IV-H if it is in good 'ol english unit pound.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.