Vienna conference 3 - the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonClarke

I did not get to many session, but there was quite a bit on SMART-1. Although there was little I had not heard before, once again I was amazed at the sophistication of this little spacecraft, the quite amazing degree of minaturisation that has been achieved, and the range of scientific and engineering work that has been carried out. The SMART-1 team are collaborating closely with US, Chinese, Indian, and Japanese researchers in their mission planning.<br /><br />Everyone seemed quite excited about the “Peaks of Eternal Light” predicted by Flammerion in the early 20th century. Even during the north polar winter, these permanently lit areas are several km across and, importantly from the point of view of future landing, relatively smooth.<br /><br />There has been some doubt on this forum as to whether Selene is going to fly. Well, it is still undeergoing construction, so, despite delays, it should still get to the moon in 2007.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

alokmohan

Summary (May 07, 2005): The next time you look at the Moon, pause for a moment and let this thought sink in: People have actually walked on the Moon, and right now the wheels are in motion to send people there again. Whether a moonbase will turn out to be feasible hinges largely on the question of water. Colonists need water to drink. They need water to grow plants. They can also break water apart to make air (oxygen) and rocket fuel (oxygen+hydrogen). The article in astrobiology magazine may be relevant.<br /><br />

J

jmilsom

The most amazing thing I've read recently re: the moon (and I'm sure this must have been discussed somehwere on the threads) is that a team at the University of Houston has demonstrated a method whereby a lunar robotic rover could build solar cells entirely out of lunar dust or 'regolith.' They've simulated it inside a vacuum chamber and it works! I read it in New Scientist, though the full report of this work is in <i> Acta Astronomica </i> (vol56, p537).<br /><br />With ideas like this, and the SMART-1 being such a great technological achievement, I daresay we will be on the moon again before too long! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts