Viewing A KSC Launch Off-base - -Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kiwigavin

<p>Planning to take the family to see the Feb 12 launch but too tight (US-mean) to get tickets for the Visitors' Complex and am planning to view it from near the Beeline crossing of Banana River (a few mates (US-buddies) have given me a good location). Only thing is how can we get the pre-launch commentary? Does the KSC AM station run the "chat"? Or does it still play the same-o-same-o tape?</p><p>Not teched up enough to use a WAP/G3 phone to keep up-to-date via the Interweb, so any Plan B gratefully received. And, No, buying tickets isn't a player.</p><p>Sorry if this interrupts the usual, much more learned threads.&nbsp;</p>

R

rocketwatcher2001

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Planning to take the family to see the Feb 12 launch but too tight (US-mean) to get tickets for the Visitors' Complex and am planning to view it from near the Beeline crossing of Banana River (a few mates (US-buddies) have given me a good location). Only thing is how can we get the pre-launch commentary? Does the KSC AM station run the "chat"? Or does it still play the same-o-same-o tape?Not teched up enough to use a WAP/G3 phone to keep up-to-date via the Interweb, so any Plan B gratefully received. And, No, buying tickets isn't a player.Sorry if this interrupts the usual, much more learned threads.&nbsp; <br />Posted by kiwigavin</DIV><br /><br />There is no dedicated radio station, such as NASA TV, but most AM news stations in the area carry the last few minutes of launch countdown, Jim Banke(sp?) is commentary for at least one station, or he used to do it, I don't know if he still does.&nbsp; I think it is either 1240 or 1250.&nbsp; AM 540 or 580 will also cover it, but they are Orlando stations, and don't give the coverage that the Space Coast station will.</p><p>If you are lucky you will see a group that has a scanner with the actual KSC freqs. and you can hear everything as it happens.&nbsp; I've been wanting to get a scanner ever since I moved here back in 2002, but I still have not gotten around to it.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Planning to take the family to see the Feb 12 launch but too tight (US-mean) to get tickets for the Visitors' Complex and am planning to view it from near the Beeline crossing of Banana River (a few mates (US-buddies) have given me a good location). Only thing is how can we get the pre-launch commentary? Does the KSC AM station run the "chat"? Or does it still play the same-o-same-o tape?Not teched up enough to use a WAP/G3 phone to keep up-to-date via the Interweb, so any Plan B gratefully received. And, No, buying tickets isn't a player.Sorry if this interrupts the usual, much more learned threads.&nbsp; <br />Posted by kiwigavin</DIV></p><p>I Highly reccomend watching from Titusville as well.&nbsp;</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

K

kiwigavin

<p>Chaps, &nbsp;thanks for all the ideas. I was put off Titusville by a local who says all the good spots are bunged and it'll take all day to get home after the launch. But assuming I went for Titusville, anyone know any good spots? I have Googlemaps at the ready. Otherwise it's still Plan A - on the 528 between Merritt Island and Port Canaveral, where it crosses the Banana River.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Thanks again for all the ideas. On the day, f you see a rented Uplander full of a family of five fighting over the one working iPod - just keep moving. Ain't nothing to see here.&nbsp;</p>

B

bpcooper

I wouldn't be "put off" by Titusville. The best and closest view is worth a couple of hours in traffic after the launch. In addition, being that this launch is at sunrise, Titusville is going to offer the best view of it launching with the rising sun behind it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

T

Testing

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Chaps, &nbsp;thanks for all the ideas. I was put off Titusville by a local who says all the good spots are bunged and it'll take all day to get home after the launch. But assuming I went for Titusville, anyone know any good spots? I have Googlemaps at the ready. Otherwise it's still Plan A - on the 528 between Merritt Island and Port Canaveral, where it crosses the Banana River.&nbsp;Thanks again for all the ideas. On the day, f you see a rented Uplander full of a family of five fighting over the one working iPod - just keep moving. Ain't nothing to see here.&nbsp; <br />Posted by kiwigavin</DIV><br /><br />You have gotten credible answers from good sources. Now ask where the great place for brekke is to wait out the traffic! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rocketwatcher2001

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Chaps, &nbsp;thanks for all the ideas. I was put off Titusville by a local who says all the good spots are bunged and it'll take all day to get home after the launch. But assuming I went for Titusville, anyone know any good spots? I have Googlemaps at the ready. Otherwise it's still Plan A - on the 528 between Merritt Island and Port Canaveral, where it crosses the Banana River.&nbsp;Thanks again for all the ideas. On the day, f you see a rented Uplander full of a family of five fighting over the one working iPod - just keep moving. Ain't nothing to see here.&nbsp; <br />Posted by kiwigavin</DIV></p><p>I take the back roads, and there is little or no traffic problems for me.&nbsp; However, it you take the main roads, there is a lot of traffic.&nbsp; I can give you directions if you would like.&nbsp; Where are you coming from?&nbsp; Are you coming via 528?&nbsp; Rt. 50?&nbsp; Rt. 46?&nbsp; Those are the main roads from the Orlando area.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

K

kiwigavin

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I take the back roads, and there is little or no traffic problems for me.&nbsp; However, it you take the main roads, there is a lot of traffic.&nbsp; I can give you directions if you would like.&nbsp; Where are you coming from?&nbsp; Are you coming via 528?&nbsp; Rt. 50?&nbsp; Rt. 46?&nbsp; Those are the main roads from the Orlando area. <br /> Posted by rocketwatcher2001</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Via the 528 and Challenger highway. Planning to get there for about 0500. Any brekkie tips gratefully appreciated. I was going to treat them to Denny's being the big spender that I am.&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Via the 528 and Challenger highway. Planning to get there for about 0500. Any brekkie tips gratefully appreciated. I was going to treat them to Denny's being the big spender that I am.&nbsp; <br />Posted by kiwigavin</DIV><br /><br />Be aware the launch has been postponed to No Earlier Than Feb 19. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Be aware the launch has been postponed to No Earlier Than Feb 19. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Now NET Feb 22 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

K

kiwigavin

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Now NET Feb 22 <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br />Yeah, at which point all of the above has become academic as we fly back to the UK on the 14th. Heyho, still had a good day out at KSC yesterday though. Despite getting mugged by a seagull for my fries.</p><p>&nbsp;Thanks again chaps for all the info. Maybe next year...&nbsp;</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts