Virgin Galactic's LauncherOne....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Below are images presented by VG's small satellite launch general manager Adam Baker at the 60th International Astronautical Congress in Daejeon, Korea in October. (FlightGlobal blog link)

The first one is what most people expected - a rather conventional horizontally launched small payload booster, not unlike the Orbital Sciences Pegasus, for cubesats and mini-satellites up to 200kg or so.

Below, however, is something completely different: a winged fly-back re-usable booster with canards in front. This graphic is the Black Cab, a Rick "The Rocketeer" Newland concept presented at the 2009 UKSpace conference that would leverage Rutans folding wing tech to re-enter for landing and re-use. (bottom with link to his slideshow)

A mothership launches a daughtership that launches an insertion vehicle from an internal bay. Hybrid for the daughtership? Sounds reasonable to me....

launcherone1.JPG

launcherone2.JPG

SlideShare link....

BlackCab1.jpg

BlackCab2.jpg

BlackCab3.jpg

D

docm

Re: Space Ship 2 Updates thread....

MeteorWayne":1rzvkrf2 said:
docm":1rzvkrf2 said:
See my Virgin Galactic LauncherOne thread....

Which has been merged into this thread. Let's keep all the Virgin Galactic stuff together, OK?
This thread was started for SS2, hence it's name, not for Virgin Galactic generally or I'd have named it as such. LauncherOne isn't SS2 regardless of their sharing a booster (WK2). You wouldn't put DreamChaser and some other ULA payload in the same thread based just on both using an Atlas V booster, would you?

Keep it here if you really want, but I had to make that point.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Space Ship 2 Updates thread....

Sorry, my bad, I got confused. I'll correct it now, if my power stays up long enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.