VIRGOHI21

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrcurious

Scientist have discovered an invisible galaxy by detecting H-I emissions of neutral hydrogen using X-ray scope, Chandra .<br /><br /> The galaxy has a mass of 100 million to 10 billion solar masses, and is 50 million light-years away. The hydrogen gas present can only account for one thousandth of the mass detected, which has been estimated by taking into account the rate of rotation of the dark matter halo.<br /><br />This is hard to accept.

B

Boris_Badenov

Please provide a link. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

K

kmarinas86

Simple. Spacetime is more slippery in other places.

D

dragon04

Fascinating stuff. I've always wondered why cosmologists have been resistant to simply adding more matter (even if it can't be seen) to explain the expansion of the Universe as opposed to looking for more exotic explanations of what they <b>do</b> see.<br /><br />I wouldn't expect that this discovery would be unique, but rather a pointer to a much more simplistic explanation for why we observe the things that we <b>do</b> see, and their resultant explanation.<br /><br />This isn't surprising to me. Maybe it's just because I'm an interested layperson who doesn't know enough to go looking for exotic reasons for the actions of a simple system.<br /><br />How much matter is beyond the edges of what we can detect, for example? It seems as if conventional science only wishes to deal with the observable, but we know from the expansion rate of the Universe that something is happening that we don't understand.<br /><br />We also have the notion that superluminal recession is not only possible, but maybe probable. IOW, there's a lot more stuff out there than we can see.<br /><br />If we can imagine the "shape" of the known universe, Imagine how much more mass would be out on every "edge" that we can't see or detect just beyond the "border".<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

K

kmarinas86

My thought: Maybe lower density areas of space have more slippery space-time?<br /><br />If this were proven, it would actually disprove the big bang theory, so yes, I believe the Big Bang is a scientific theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts