Was Dark Energy born at the BB, as Cosmic Inflation?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

It's a starting point (due to obvious similarities). All very "by the numbers," until it's either proven or falsified.

R

ramparts

Again, I think we're overstating how "obvious" the similarities are. They make the universe accelerate. I really think that, given what we know now, they're about as obviously similar as gravity and magnetism. After all, they both make things accelerate, but have vastly different strengths - and where have we heard that before? :)

Y

yevaud

Of course. ;)

Nevertheless, methodical is how scientific investigation works, and even superficial similarities must be considered. Else one is violating the scientific method and Occam's Razor.

R

ramparts

yevaud":h4g12cb9 said:
Of course. ;)

Nevertheless, methodical is how scientific investigation works, and even superficial similarities must be considered. Else one is violating the scientific method and Occam's Razor.

Of course. :)

Occam's razor is usually the best way to go in science when one doesn't have a better direction, and that is quite possibly the case here. But it's much simpler for us to model the two as separate entities than to invoke some complicated formalism to unify them, while explaining why they have such different strengths and act at such different times. I think Occam's razor, given the current state of theories, actually points towards them being separate - until someone comes up with a consistent and well-motivated theory otherwise ;)

F

funknbluezer

Right after the BB there was a large amount of matter and antimatter. There particles collided and realeased a tremendous amount of energy. Could this energy be what we are calling "dark energy"? Perhaps the matter antimatter collisions didn't result in total annihilation and some sub atomic particles survived to form dark matter.

O

origin

Welcome to space.com!

funknbluezer":1cl33pbc said:
Right after the BB there was a large amount of matter and antimatter. There particles collided and realeased a tremendous amount of energy. Could this energy be what we are calling "dark energy"?

Nope, the energy that is created from matter - antimatter annihilation is in the form of photons - this is definitley not dark energy.

Perhaps the matter antimatter collisions didn't result in total annihilation and some sub atomic particles survived to form dark matter.

Any left over subatomic particles would not be 'dark' so this is not a likely candidate for dark matter - unless you are saying that the left over subatomic particles are of some exotic type.

K

KickLaBuka

But it's much simpler for us to model the two as separate entities than to invoke some complicated formalism to unify them, while explaining why they have such different strengths and act at such different times.

Since the two work together, combining them may be difficult but absolutely necessary.

I think Occam's razor, given the current state of theories, actually points towards them being separate - until someone comes up with a consistent and well-motivated theory otherwise

Check.

R

ramparts

Well, having similar effects is a lot different from working together. Dark energy and inflation were dominant at completely different times of cosmic history, so to claim they're "working together" is speculative at best.

K

KickLaBuka

My apologies. Alleged dark energy and predicted inflation were not the forces I was thinking of as working together, as I consider both either redundant or fantasy.

ramparts":1pfpvcik said:
I really think that, given what we know now, they're about as obviously similar as gravity and magnetism. After all, they both make things accelerate, but have vastly different strengths

C

Couerl

My understanding of DE is that there was much less proportionately in the early universe (virtually unmeasurable during inflation) and as expansion continues, DE also increased, making the overall expansion accelerate even faster..

Whether or not DE is related to (as in product of) inflation is any one's guess so far as I know but, it seems worthy for consideration at least.

Q

QED

The more I read about the behavior of the subatomic world, black holes, spacetime, thermodynamics/QED, QM, GTR, etc. etc., the more I think that actual galaxies are universes created spontaneously... sitting in a infinite expansion of an energy, dark energy particle farm, situated in a Swarzchild black hole. I might sound crazy, but it would fit everything into a nice package... I can dream. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts