Watch a colossal X-class solar flare erupt from Earth-facing sunspot (video)

I don't understand why this is considered "Colossal" look at the 13 class X Solar Flares in May not to mention the class X 8.79 on May 14th, 2024. The Coronal Mass Eruptions are something completely different. This is not very Colossal. This is a minor Class X.

Perhaps the blackouts had an effect in this elevated title.
No. The blackout is mild and just mainly affecting North and South America. The Cornal Mass Eruption was not was very bad at all. The two that happened the day before were much worse with one being a full Halo CME. Which will affect the earth today and are expected to spike the KP Index to a 7. So it has been said that the Aurora can be seen as low as England, Belgium, the Netherlands and in the US possibly as low as Salt Lake City, Utah. As of right now the KP has only reached 5. We can only see what time will bring.

Much love and respect,
Beyond

Last edited:
Reactions: Helio
I saw a message from someone pertaining to the blackout affecting Asia. Upon the point that I posted and verified through the black out grid. It was affecting North, Central, and South America. That does not mean over time that will not change because the earth rotates. Unless you are one of those crazy flat Earth people. Again much love. Maybe I should write for space.com.

The blackout occurred immediately when the flare was observed since it was the radiation blast, not the plasma blast from acme or flare, which takes time to travel outward.

The map in the article shows Asia being impacted.

[I saw two conflicting maps, so I withdrew my earlier post.]

Just like as of right now the radio black is affecting North, Central and South America. There's a lot of different things that you have to consider. Solar winds travel on average about 475km per second. It takes around 72 for a solar flare to hit the Earth it's not something that's instantaneous.

"Colossal" in headline editor speak simply means "I want you to read this article."

Everything about the Sun is "colossal" if compared to something in a human's everyday experience. We could not even see something the size of a "monster truck" if it was on the Sun.

But, would you read the story if the headline was "Sun emits another relatively moderate solar flare, not as strong as the ones in May"?

It's that big one on the left, 3780, what's causing all the excitement. The doom and gloomers on the forum dedicated to this particular spot, on another website, are comparing it to various movie scenarios, none of them real good.
I just had a look through 30x100 binoculars with solar filters. The big spot has a "U" in it.

Last edited:
It's that big one on the left, 3780, what's causing all the excitement. The doom and gloomers on the forum dedicated to this particular spot, on another website, are comparing it to various movie scenarios, none of them real good.
It's a shame someone has yet to build the right "surfboard" to ride some of these blasts to the outer regions. ;)

Perhaps the surfer could just hang at L1, see one coming, accelerate enough to catch the blast and ride baby ride. [Or perhaps orbit Venus or Mercury.]

Yes, the forces and power involved are way outside our comprehension scale. This is plasma physics, do not go there unless you want to get burned. It makes no sense. I particularly like how some forces only apply at right angles.

Those forces are not only squared, they have handedness. Opposite direction response. And the size, density and RPM of the particles change with energy with the mass change.

These size and density changes are huge. These are huge physical area changes. And almost instant changes.

Very difficult to imagine, for there is nothing that moves like that in our scale. To compare with.

Mass has always been the true mystery.

TRENDING THREADS