Watch devastating Park Fire rage in stunning satellite video

Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
i'm always scared by forest industrialization in u.s.; seen from satellites, california forests, from north of yosemite to the oregon border, are almost a seamless continuity of patches carved in the mountains' wooded slopes. I wonder why americans use so much timber; here in europe, you never see these devastations and i dont think that we feel the lack of it.

That is a whopper of a fire. Forest fires, large prairie fires, much larger than any today, floods, droughts, tornadoes and hurricanes have always modeled this continent. Since and before the ice age. It comes with the territory. It should be the first sentence on every deed. First attempts to survive here failed. Too hot. Too cold. Too wet. Too dry. Forest too thick. Ridge too high. Rivers too wide. Streams too deep.

It’s a hideous place. We had to light the forest just to get thru it.

You ought to see the bugs. And the snakes.

Nov 20, 2019
Visit site
The US has 4% of the world's population and produces 26% of the world's goods and services. That's why we use so much wood.
yes but i found that most of wood usage is internal (or perhaps it was intended that the raw material is used internally, and then a large quantity of transformed goods are exported??). Anyway, here tv shows of reconstruction of u.s. houses are popular, and you can see that 99% of the projects are built with wood. Here maybe 1% of houses are built in wood. Perhaps this also explains the difference.

The US does wood framing in houses and small buildings. Metal studs have not taken over. I just saw a 100 unit two story hotel go up with a wooden frame. Took them about a month to get it sheathed in. It was not modular, stick by stick.

TRENDING THREADS