Watchmen 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

A prequel series & possible film(s)

From Wizard Mag viaBleeding Cool

Get Ready For Watchmen 2

I’ve heard this one rumbling for a while now. First there was the story that DC Comics Publisher and President Paul Levitz had personally prevented any Watchmen 2 projects, because, despite their differences, he believed that as this would be against Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ wishes, it would cause bery bad feeling in the creative community and would be a creatively bankrupt move.
>
But there were moves. A Wizard splash showing DC’s Countdown multiverse had Rorschach as one of the combatants and it was rumoured one of the universes in the DC 52 Multiverse was intended to be the Watchmen world. Instead, Earth 4 became a world inspired by elements of Watchmen and the Charlton Heroes universe but with other aspects such as the laws of physics being altered.

But the news broke that Paul Levitz was stepping down from DC Comics as both President and Publisher, I wondered what that meant for the possibility of a Watchmen sequel. Certainly in a hundred years, you couldn’t expect there not to be one.

Well, it seems to be happening a lot sooner than I thought. I understand now that this considered a pet project of Dan DiDio, SVP-Executive Editor. That he is determined to impress new bosses by building on DC’s biggest selling comic book of all time with multiple prequel comic miniseries and spinoff ongoing projects.

>
Both Jim Baike, Rich Veitch and Gene Ha/Zander Cannon are artists who have taken on writing chores on books previously written by Alan Moore, to continue the storyline. The most creatively-acceptable solution would be Dave Gibbons writing and drawing new Watchmen titles. But DiDio’s plans seem much larger than just one book.

And of course, in those initial movie contracts with Fox, there was a clause that included sequels to a Watchmen movie.

When asked, Dave Gibbons only replied “Hurm…”

bat-570x496.jpg

C

CalliArcale

While it would be entertaining to see how a fight between Batman and Rorschach would go (though the universes are technically incompatible), I react with horror to the idea of a Watchmen sequel. While there's certainly plenty of material to be explored, part of the beauty of the original story is that it was circular in structure. It ended where it began, pointing out that everything they had just done, all the lives lost, all the struggles, was ultimately futile. Nothing was really changed within human nature. At best, it ended the Cold War (which in the Watchmen universe, had gone on longer and gotten more serious than in our universe, largely *because* of the presence of superheros).

It would be like writing a sequel to "Hamlet". Interesting, but doesn't really add to the story, and should not generally be considered part of the same story. It would definitely weaken the closing scene of "Watchmen". So if this sequel is more on the nature of additional stories in the same universe, I could go with it. But they should avoid trying to do another story on the same scale, at least until they have that universe fully established beyond "Watchmen".

When asked, Dave Gibbons only replied “Hurm…”

Excellently put. ;) Also what I would say. Not sure whether it would be a good idea. But Gibbons is a good person to be involved, if they do it. Nobody apart from Moore is closer to the source.

B

Bromo33333

I could see a prequal.

Not a sequal.

Just my 2 cents ... :)

D

drwayne

Darn, did I see that Batman in a Mr Olympia a few years back?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.