"Weird Crystals" Found in Comet Wild 2 Sample

Page 7 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

All right. That's it. There are too many unsubstantiated accusations, dishonest debating tactics, outright ad hominems, and clear attempts to provoke a flamewar in this thread. I've had it up to here with you, jatslo, bonzelite, and SiriusMrE. All you guys do is make vague assertions, refuse to back them up, and then insult the other side when they dare have a different opinion.<br /><br />And then you guys have the unmitigated gall to call people like Yevaud and JonClarke the close-minded ones.<br /><br />I am locking this thread. It's obvious some people are not willing to have a civil debate. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

<i>but one could also interpret the *evidence* in a completely different way--perhaps as fantastically.</i><br /><br />Yes, that's true. And they have to prove it, not just state it as fact.<br /><br /><i>The atmosphere here of shutting down only certain lines of discussion is...unseemly.</i><br /><br />See above answer.<br /><br /><i>Also, the fact that you do not accept my citations is not my problem. </i><br /><br />I haven't accepted your "citations," as they do not prove your case. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

T

telfrow

NASA Press Release<br /><br />RELEASE: 06-091 <br /><br /><b>NASA's Stardust Findings May Alter View of Comet Formation</b><br /><br /><i>Samples from comet Wild 2 have surprised scientists, indicating the formation of at least some comets may have included materials ejected by the early sun to the far reaches of the solar system.<br /><br />Scientists have found minerals formed near the sun or other stars in the samples returned to Earth by NASA's Stardust spacecraft in January. The findings suggest materials from the center of the solar system could have traveled to the outer reaches where comets formed. This may alter the way scientists view the formation and composition of comets. <br /><br />"The interesting thing is we are finding these high-temperature minerals in materials from the coldest place in the solar system," said Donald Brownlee, Stardust principal investigator from the University of Washington, Seattle. <br /><br />Scientists have long thought of comets as cold, billowing clouds of ice, dust and gases formed on the edges of the solar system. But comets may not be so simple or similar. They may prove to be diverse bodies with complex histories. Comet Wild 2 seems to have had a more complex history than thought.<br /><br />"We have found very high-temperature minerals, which supports a particular model where strong bipolar jets coming out of the early sun propelled material formed near to the sun outward to the outer reaches of the solar system," said Michael Zolensky, Stardust curator and co-investigator at NASA's Johnson Space Center, Houston. "It seems that comets are not composed entirely of volatile rich materials but rather are a mixture of materials formed at all temperature ranges, at places very near the early sun and at places very remote from it."<br /><br />One mineral found in the material brought back by Stardust is olivine, a primary component of the gre</i> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS