Weird quantum effect that can turn matter invisible finally demonstrated

Another great demonstration of the Pauli exclusion, and more transparent than most! 😜

But I need help with this...
“The researchers froze their lithium cloud to 20 microkelvins, which is just above absolute zero. Then, they used a second, tightly focused laser to squeeze the atoms to a record density of roughly 1 quadrillion (1 followed by 15 zeros) atoms per cubic centimeter.”

The normal density of Li is 1/2 gram per cc. This is about 0.07 moles. Multiplying this by Avogadro’s no. gives us far more atoms in one cc than they reported. So what am I missing?

Reactions: Catastrophe
Helio's post is an interesting challenge. Despite my smart-alec post above, I did some refreshing. IMO, Li atoms are being equated with the calculated Li molecules. Since the calculated Li molecules/cc exceed the stated LI atoms /cc, I suspect that the experiment was done with a density mass less than .5 grams/cc of LI which is Li/cc density at STP. It was a fun refresher stimulated with 3 cups of coffee. Thanks.

Helio's post is an interesting challenge. Despite my smart-alec post above, I did some refreshing. IMO, Li atoms are being equated with the calculated Li molecules. Since the calculated Li molecules/cc exceed the stated LI atoms /cc, I suspect that the experiment was done with a density mass less than .5 grams/cc of LI which is Li/cc density at STP. It was a fun refresher stimulated with 3 cups of coffee. Thanks.
That’s likely the only reasonable answer, though I had assumed something more pure.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Latest posts