Welcome to the Apollo 11 40th Anniversary Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doublehelix

Hi everyone, welcome to the Apollo 11 40th Anniversary Forum! As you know, July 16 is the anniversary of the Apollo 11 lift-off, July 20 of the moon landing.

We hope you will use this forum to discuss this historic mission, and share your memories of it and that time with us and each other.

-dh

I hope that you do not object dh, but I just had to post these amazing Apollo 11 shots on here.

LM Eagle returning to CM Columbia, with Earth rise in the background.
apollo11lmearthrise.jpg

Surface view of Mare Tranquilitatis from the LM Eagle.
apollo-11jpg.jpg

Iconic view of Aldrin with the scene reflected in his visor. Armstrong, LM Eagle, US flag & Solar Wind collector can be seen reflected in Aldrin's visor.
600px-Aldrin_Apollo_11.jpg

Aldrin with the deployed Lunar Passive Seismometer with the LM Eagle in the background.
aldrinseismometer_apollo11.jpg

Looking south over the 'Magnificent Desolation' as Edwin Aldrin quoted when he viewed this very scene with his own eyes.
southview_lg.gif

33 metre wide & 4 metre deep West Crater close to LM Eagle.
west_lg.gif

Neil Armstrong boot print in the Lunar Regolith.
footprint_lg.gif

Last Quarter Earth visible in the Lunar Sky above Eagle.
5923.jpg

A few more. I have added more here rather than keep oppeing new posts as that would look as through I am trolling.

Last Quarter Earthrise with the far side Tsiolkovsky Crater (Due to CM Columbia's altitiude, CM Columbia was able to 'look around the moon' hense Earth & Tsiolkovsky being visible together. From the surface within Tsiolkovsky Crater, the Earth is never visible).
6652.jpg

Wider angle of above view.
6653.jpg

LM Eagle with a refuse bag placed close by.
5850.jpg

LM Eagle just prior to extraction from Saturn 5 in Trans Lunar coast by CM Columbia.
5313.jpg

Edwin Aldrin with the Stars & Stips @ Tranquility Base.
5875.jpg

Edwin Aldrin egressing the LM Eagle.
5866.jpg

Edwin Aldrin on the Moon.
5869.jpg

Lunar regolith in Mare Tranquilitatis PRIOR to Aldrin's bootprint.
5876.jpg

Exactly same patch as above with boot print.
5877.jpg

General scenes of Mare Tranquilitatis.
5889.jpg

5934.jpg

5933.jpg

5938.jpg

5939.jpg

5940.jpg

Looking back at LM Eagle.
5962.jpg

Solar Wind collector. This was returned to Earth for analysis.
5916.jpg

View from LM Eagle in lunar orbit with a Last Quarter Earth rising.
5442.jpg

Lunar Farside @ 1.5 North, 155 West from CM Columbia.
6244.jpg

Another lunar farside with farside horizon @ 12 South, 163 West from CM Columbia.
6248.jpg

Lunar farside with horizon @ 10 South, 163 West from CM Columbia.
6276.jpg

Lunar farside near enough at the centre of the lunar farside!!! 6 South, 180 West from CM Columbia.
6151.jpg

Another here from almost the centre of the anti Earth side. 9.5 South, 179.5 West. CM Columbia.
6152.jpg

Earth eclipsing the Sun showing the solar corona during the return of Apollo 11.
6179.jpg

There will be more.

Andrew Brown.

D

dragon04

doublehelix":3aslv9xs said:
Hi everyone, welcome to the Apollo 11 40th Anniversary Forum! As you know, July 16 is the anniversary of the Apollo 11 lift-off, July 20 of the moon landing.

We hope you will use this forum to discuss this historic mission, and share your memories of it and that time with us and each other.

Well done. Very well done. :)

O

ozspace

- Apollo 11 40th Anniversary Events - Melbourne, Australia

Rolling Apollo 11 footage will feature on the Big Screen at Melbourne's Federation Square across the weekend of July 18-19, 2009. A big thanks to Spacecraft Films for their assistance.
http://www.federationsquare.com.au

There will also be presentations on the Apollo 11 mission over the weekend in one of Fed' Squares theatres, more details to come.

Melbourne, Australia - Event 2
Movie - The Right Stuff
At the Astor Theatre, corner of Chapel St and Dandenong Rd St Kilda, on Monday, July 20th at 7:30 pm.

- Epic drama of training of astronauts and the behind–the–scenes happenings at the birth of America's space programme. Adapted from Tom Wolfe's book, the story centres on test pilot Chuck Yeager. Fantastic footage of actual rocket and space vehicle testing.
http://www.astor-theatre.com

From 7 pm, the Space Association of Australia will be presenting an short overview of the historic Apollo 11 mission before the movie. We will also have many displays in the foyer and information desk at interval.
http://www.space.asn.au

G

GerryOBrien@hotmail.com

I think about how important the 40th. anniversary of Apollo space flight was then and how it really has been a foundation we can finally build on. I would like to see a full operational moon base established and then work toward getting us to Mars.

L

langdangchieudong

Welcome everybpody. I'm very glad to join the forums

D

davcbow

Nice thread, all the pictures bring back a lot of good memories from my childhood. I was 9 years old when apollo 11 landed on the moon and watched the eva on tv with my parents..... :cool:

M

MeteorWayne

NASA's sharp-eyed Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter is gearing up to look down on the Apollo 11 landing site – the location of the first human foray to the moon 40 years ago this month.

Along with carrying out lunar science jobs, the moon-circling probe in coming days, weeks and months will photograph selected lunar targets, zooming in on a short list of Apollo landing locales to see the final resting spots of robotic spacecraft, moon buggy tracks and crashed rocket stages, SPACE.com has learned.

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) is already on duty and using its LRO Camera, dubbed LROC for short.

The landed Eagle

One large item that should be easy to spot is Apollo 11's Eagle descent stage, left behind after Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin rocketed away from Tranquility Base.

For the Apollo 11 site, "you will definitely see this square thing sitting on surface," said LROC's Principal Investigator, Mark Robinson of Arizona State University in Tempe. At low sun it's likely that the lander legs will cast shadows. "It will be unambiguous that the descent stage is sitting there," Robinson said.

The descent stages of other Apollo missions should be visible, too. And the orbiter will look for Apollo Lunar Surface Experiment Packages (ALSEP) – an array of scientific devices deployed on the lunar surface by Apollo moonwalkers.

"I know we'll see the descent stages...and I know we'll be able to find the ALSEPs," Robinson told SPACE.com. "You'll see things sitting on surface." Churned-up lunar regolith, the tracks of the three lunar rovers used during the Apollo program, should also be visible.

Lunar archaeologists, interested in making the Apollo 11 site a National Historic Landmark, hope the planned photos will answer some of these longstanding questions: What is the condition of Tranquility Base after 40 years? Was the American flag blown over on the Eagle's ascent and is it now a bleached skeleton? What are the relatively long term effects of the lunar environment on human artifacts?

H

highseas2

Wow 40 years! My brother and I were standing by the count down clock at the cape that day.

J

john.henderson@jimstestandtag.co

I was in grade 3 at Geebung state school, (Queensland, Australia)we watched on a little black and white TV, I always get shivers when i see the landing again! What an acomplishment.

M

MeteorWayne

Apollo 11 Conversations Earth Didn't Hear Now Online at Nasa.Gov HOUSTON -- You're in a spacecraft, on a mission to land on the moon for the first time in history, and the microphone to Earth is off. What do you say?

Now you can listen in on a NASA Web site and find out.

As Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Mike Collins flew on Apollo 11 to a lunar landing in July 1969, the world heard communications between the crew and Mission Control live as they happened. But Earth did not hear the private conversations between Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins, although they were recorded aboard the Command Module Columbia and Lunar Module Eagle.

Those conversations now are available on the Internet. All the Apollo spacecraft had onboard voice recorders, activated during much of each mission to record the crew's conversations. The transcripts of those recordings were publicly released in the mid-1970s. Only recently were the actual onboard audio recordings from Apollo 11 digitized and made available on the Web.

To listen to the recordings and view the transcript, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apoll ... audio.html

C

CmdrBond

Congratulations to NASA and the crew of Apollo 11. Your accomplishments are as astounding today as they were 40 years ago. Here's to the greatest achievement of man-kind!

I

Irmtraut

dragon04":1fmlzmob said:
doublehelix":1fmlzmob said:

Well done. Very well done. :)

Hi Wayne,

I've downloaded it & saved it on a hosting site & I have linked it to here.

Very interesting document.

I suppose the Apollo craft splashed down in International Waters, so I suppose really they were entering the USA from outside technically. I suppose if Apollo could have landed in lets say the Mojave Desert, this would not have been necessary???

Returning Space Shuttle crews do not need customs clearance do they?????

Mind you, it is a boon for the NJAA to host a peice of Apollo 11 formal paperwork, donated by Buzz. It's a very historic document.

Apollo-11-Immigration-02form.jpg

Andrew Brown.

F

Fomalhautian

Great pics Andrew. Thanks for sharing them in one place..... scrolling through you can almost feel the excitement that must have been shared around the globe. I wish I was old enough to have witnessed that feat. The most excited I've been so far was when Cassini went through the rings of Saturn (that was some edge of your seat action right there). I don't even think watching a manned Mars landing will hold a candle to watching the first humans to leave Earth and walk on another celestial body.

Fomalhautian":1adq4n7n said:
Great pics Andrew. Thanks for sharing them in one place..... scrolling through you can almost feel the excitement that must have been shared around the globe. I wish I was old enough to have witnessed that feat. The most excited I've been so far was when Cassini went through the rings of Saturn (that was some edge of your seat action right there). I don't even think watching a manned Mars landing will hold a candle to watching the first humans to leave Earth and walk on another celestial body.

Hi Fomalhautian,

Welcome to SDC.

I like your username & avatar, most fascinating star, though from here in the UK does not rise very high, but I do see it fairly often from late Summer through Autumn, when the weather's fine. Hope Hubble gets to have a fresh look to check on the orbit of the fairly new found planet around that young star & maybe find evidence for or even find others.

I was too young to remeber Apollo, when Neil made his historic First Step, I was only three & a half months old :shock: :shock:

I will do some other threads when I have time for the other Apollo missions & it's great fun doing them & it also gives me another chance to look at those images again.

Andrew Brown.

L

lordtitov

Very nice photos, thanks for posting them! Although there's a lot of controversy about the Apollo mission I prefer to believe that it's true and that we were on the moon. Just looking at these photos gets me so excited!

B

Boris_Badenov

Re: Apollo Wives

This doesn't belong in M&L, I think it should be in Free Space.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Apollo Wives

I was thinking the Apolla 11 40th Anniversery thread, myself.

H

hill211

:shock: :eek: :eek:

got to meet neal armstrong, back in the 1970s :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts