what a show on blackholes

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chembuff1982

I was watching an educational show late at night and they explained how black holes work and how in the center of each galaxy there is a black hole. They were talking about how it was impossible to ever travel through a black hole due to the gravital force that would smash you, or if that didn't kill you the great heat in the center would liquify anything. However, I found something interesting the scientists were saying. It was on upn 39. They said that black holes do not swallow everything that comes at them, some shoots out the sides out of each galaxy at and faster than the speed of light, this they claim is what keeps galaxies from merging. I was wondering if we possibly could put special ships in these jet streams and travel to each of these jets according to the angle we get in the jet calculating in each jet which way we need to be to hit the next exactly? Could this possibly allow us to travel from galaxy to galaxy to galaxy at the speed of light or faster. It seems feasable too me, why not let the jets and black holes do the work? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> You may be a genius, but google knows more than you! </div>

R

robnissen

I assume you are referring to the NOVA show that was on this week. It was quite good. But you are mistaken: the black hole jets do not travel faster than the speed of light. They do, however, travel at a significant percentage of c. But there is a HUGE problems with your proposal:<br /><br /> The jets you are talking about occur at black holes at the center of galaxies. Not only would it take 24,000 years to get to the black hole at the center of our galaxy (if your space ship could travel at the speed of light!! -- ignoring time dilation effects), but the black hole at the center of the Milky Way is not active. I believe the closest active galactic center black hole is millions of light years away.<br /><br />Even if you could get there, the killer radiation, the tidal effects from the BH gravity, along with the many millions of g acceleration the space ship would experience would destroy the ship and everything on it.

A

alokmohan

Faster than light particles are theoritical discussion.As far I know it is not related to black hole.

S

search

Maybe you are talking about Superluminal motion<br />From 1994<br />http://www.nrao.edu/pr/1994/slmotion/<br />Researchers using the Very Large Array (VLA) have discovered that a small, powerful object in our own cosmic neighborhood is shooting out material at nearly the speed of light -- a feat previously known to be performed only by the massive cores of entire galaxies. In fact, because of the direction in which the material is moving, it appears to be traveling faster than the speed of light -- a phenomenon called "superluminal motion." This is the first superluminal motion ever detected within our Galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts