What are Dobsonian Telescopes?

I have used my 10-inch Newtonian reflector and dobsonian mount since 28-June-2018. Once assembled the system weighs some 56 lbs and more with eyepieces too. It works great! However, cleaning the primary mirror and keeping collimated or aligned is some work. I clean my mirrors, especially the primary at least 1x year and collimated too using a fairly good collimation tool. Keeping your reflector on the Dob mount collimated and clean - makes for a lifetime of great viewing, eyepieces too :)

Reactions: Helio
John Dobson spoke at our club meeting and I have, somewhere, a picture with him. He was easy-going and fun to visit with. He did hold some wild ideas about certain things, but I don't recall those topics.

He really made great telescopes affordable.

I have used my 10-inch Newtonian reflector and dobsonian mount since 28-June-2018. Once assembled the system weighs some 56 lbs and more with eyepieces too. It works great! However, cleaning the primary mirror and keeping collimated or aligned is some work. I clean my mirrors, especially the primary at least 1x year and collimated too using a fairly good collimation tool. Keeping your reflector on the Dob mount collimated and clean - makes for a lifetime of great viewing, eyepieces too :)
I waited too long to clean my 16" Dob and it was a challenge cleaning it. Your annual approach makes good sense.

Latest posts