What are star charts?

Last night near 2100 EDT, I viewed the double star, 35 Sextantis in Sextans (along with Venus, M44, and M67 in Cancer). I used Stellarium and Starry Night software to create my charts and with the Telrad on the telescope, no problem locating and viewing in the eyepiece. Software like Starry Night, SkySafari, Stellarium, allows you to zoom into the field and see more detail, fainter stars and patterns that will be visible in binoculars and telescope views. Helps to quickly find your targets and enjoy some stargazing when you prepare in advance. However, I still use a paper copy from a monthly magazine too with the sky view when out in the fields.

Reactions: Lovethrust
Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
Last night near 2100 EDT, I viewed the double star, 35 Sextantis in Sextans (along with Venus, M44, and M67 in Cancer). I used Stellarium and Starry Night software to create my charts and with the Telrad on the telescope, no problem locating and viewing in the eyepiece. Software like Starry Night, SkySafari, Stellarium, allows you to zoom into the field and see more detail, fainter stars and patterns that will be visible in binoculars and telescope views. Helps to quickly find your targets and enjoy some stargazing when you prepare in advance. However, I still use a paper copy from a monthly magazine too with the sky view when out in the fields.
I just upgraded to Stellarium plus and SkySafari plus. They are great programs with each one having their own strengths and weaknesses. I wish I could combine them into one super program! Way back I used Starry Night but it got much too expensive. I like Red Shift as well but they have now gone to a subscription model on IOS so I will no longer be updating that.

Reactions: rod
Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
A great book on the subject...
9783030136123.tif

The Sumerians considered the Earth to be a flat disk earth with a possible, solid dome firmament attached at the *ends of the earth*, rotating above the flat disk earth, not very far above it.

Latest posts