what are the ramifications ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doc_harra

Guest
Would there be any ramifications if a "Superior life form" mined mars to such an extent that it lost say 15 % of its mass and moved that 15 % to earth ? would it have any effect on mars,earth,the solar system and even perhaps out side that if only the smallest amount ? not mentioning the ramifications of achieving the feat in the first place !
 
V

vogon13

Guest
15% of Mars would fill in the oceans many times, or cover the continents miles deep.<br /><br />What are you getting at?<br /><br />Changing the mass of the earth that much would alter the moon's orbit appreciably.<br /><br />If the material added to earth was not carefully regulated angular momentum wise, you would alter the length of the day.<br /><br /><br />If I worked this out correctly, you would increase the mass of the earth 2%.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>
 
D

doc_harra

Guest
Wow ! I can all most see it. <br />Dose the use of resources effect the mass of earth at all ?<br />Would the moon come closer ? if not lost from earth's orbit or even collide with earth ? <br />If the material added to earth was not carefully regulated angular momentum wise, you would alter the length of the day. or perhaps cause an eruption or a mountain formation or send earth in what may look like an erratic orbit until brought back into line or maybe not anyway "Not mentioning the ramifications of the feat" I,m sure no one would pile it up in one spot or bring it back in one chunk even if they could !<br />Would a 2% increase in mass of the earth (evenly spread) alter its orbit of the Sun ? <br />If so what are the ramifications ?
 
C

CalliArcale

Guest
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Dose the use of resources effect the mass of earth at all ? <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Only if those resources leave Earth (or are added to it) in a significant percentage. For instance, the Earth currently loses mass due to spacecraft being launched (particularly spacecraft which are leaving Earth orbit or in very high Earth orbits, and which thus won't return later on), but the mass of the Earth is such that the effect is negligible.<br /><br />In theory, though, it could have an affect. It's not likely the Moon would crash into the Earth, nor likely that it would be lost, but the dynamics of the Earth-Moon system would gradually change as the masses changed.<br /><br />However, changing the mass of the Earth will have absolutely no effect on its orbit around the Sun. That's determined soley by the Sun's mass. (The Earth's mass is negligible compared to the Sun's mass; the Sun itself contains about 99% of our solar system's entire mass. Jupiter is almost all of the remaining 1%.) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts