What BBCodes would you like to see on SDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doublehelix

Hi everyone, I have access to a (large) collection of custom BBCodes that I can apply to the forums. It's a pretty big list, so I won't mention them all here, but rather ask you what you'd like to see. I look forward to your suggestions!

-dh

A

adrenalynn

Most of the important stuff is handled in the interface. I'd like to see strike-through (line-through) [ s ] [ / s ] activated.

super and sub are already addressed which is important on a science site. Any additional math notation you can add wouldn't suck either. ;)

Thanks, DH!

D

doublehelix

Strike through is definitely one I can include.

-dh

A

a_lost_packet_

Yeah, strikethroughs are nice. In fact, any text-formatting help would be awesome. Though, you may have to create a dropdown list or new control panel if you include a bunch of them.

"Spoiler" formatting might be nice for some. Either a spoiler box (Some use the "more" code for that) or just the "spoiler" bbcode. The "Warning" text formatting might be nice to enable just for mods. I dunno, ask them.

For mathematical symbols, you'd probably have to implement "LaTex." I'm not sure how that is done. Here's a blurb on physicsforums.

Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

E

EarthlingX

More smileys ..

Full-screen button for YouTube videos :

Code:
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> 
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"

Very nice, btw :cool:

D

doublehelix

Smileys might be harder, as they take Dev time, but it's been on my mind, so I'll ask.

-dh

E

EarthlingX

doublehelix":35ddpm79 said:
Smileys might be harder, as they take Dev time, but it's been on my mind, so I'll ask.

-dh
I don't think so, you should be able to just upload them through your admin page, like anything else. I will check for packs, but if anyone else knows about them .. ?

D

doublehelix

OK, I have installed the strikethru strikethrough BBCode, as well as the "Let Me Google That For You" BBCode just for fun. Some of you will be amused by it. Here's an example:

[lmgt=harpsichord][/lmgt]

I attempted a spoiler code but having both the dark and light themes makes that a bit trickier. I can install it and perhaps you could give me feedback on how it looks? Using the dark theme I thought it might be problematic. Anyway, let me know what you'd prefer.

These things are easy to install and delete, so we can play around with it as much as we want! I am using already written BBCodes, so the pool is somewhat limited, but there are possibilities.

-dh

A

a_lost_packet_

Note: The superscript command needs to be changed to the standard "sup" toggle instead of the "s" toggle. Otherwise, it applies both the superscript and strike-through formats. Which, is kinda neat in a macro'ish sort of way... If I ever needed superscripted strikethroughs, that's the way I'd go. But, right now.. not so much. :)

EDIT - Nevermind.

I must have clicked on the wrong button when formatting my "tests" at O-Dark Early this morning. Sorry for any confusion.

But, there may be a display issue as MW's post below notes. (IE problem, maybe?)

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, it's screwed up. The superscript allows the superscript part to look just fine, but the regular text below loses the bottom half of every letter... :(

E

EarthlingX

That 'Let me Google that for you' is useless. Can't put more than 1 word in it, and it doesn't accept any Google search parameters.

[lmgt=NASA mission Odyssey forums site:space.com]this is an example[/lmgt]

[lmgt="NASA mission Odyssey forums site:space.com"]this is an example[/lmgt]

This is more effective, though it assumes browser and other settings used at the time of search - raw search link URL :
This is an example

Another example with removed browser related parameters :
This is an example

Strike through and some text. More text [super]and super[/super], a bit of normal, underlined, [sub]and sub[/sub], and normal.

Works ok for me, but 's' is really not descriptive enough. At least some hover help would be appreciated.

A

a_lost_packet_

MeteorWayne":2iroqmk1 said:
Yes, it's screwed up. The superscript allows the superscript part to look just fine, but the regular text below loses the bottom half of every letter... :(

That might be an IE thing. Dunno.

It seems to be working fine now. Maybe I did something weird last night or thought I had hit the correct post format command when I was testing the new feature?

D

doublehelix

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll get rid of the LMGTFY - it was just for fun anyway, and it sounds like it's not fun anyway!

Here is my [super]superscript[/super], and my [sub]subscript[/sub]. I'm using IE Firefox.
(in the preview the sub and super look like they are working ok for me on FF).

-dh

M

Mee_n_Mac

doublehelix":3fcyi62s said:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll get rid of the LMGTFY - it was just for fun anyway, and it sounds like it's not fun anyway!

Here is my [super]superscript[/super], and my [sub]subscript[/sub]. I'm using IE Firefox.

-dh

Like MW I'm using IE8 and getting inconsistent performace. As noted (by MW) one of Adrennalynn's posts had a sub/superscript which was half displayed and yet other sub/supers in the same thread looked fine. Just above, your "subscript" text is being overlaid by, and simultaneously displayed with, the line below it. Yet EarthlingX's subs and supers a few posts above it look just fine ... as have the subs and supers I've used here on SDC in the past.

Very odd. :shock:

E

EarthlingX

Mee_n_Mac":1fqy8krn said:
doublehelix":1fqy8krn said:

-dh

Like MW I'm using IE8 and getting inconsistent performace. As noted (by MW) one of Adrennalynn's posts had a sub/superscript which was half displayed and yet other sub/supers in the same thread looked fine. Just above, your "subscript" text is being overlaid by, and simultaneously displayed with, the line below it. Yet EarthlingX's subs and supers a few posts above it look just fine ... as have the subs and supers I've used here on SDC in the past.

My are separated by one empty line. Example :

Normal text - [super]super text[/super] - normal - [sub]sub text[/sub]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

D

doublehelix

Mee_n_Mac":3gj5y0ct said:

I didn't touch the superscript and subscript BBCodes at all - have you been having problems with them all along?

I'll remove the lmgtfy= BBCode and then let's see if there still is a problem.

-dh

D

doublehelix

EarthlingX":1yfrquqs said:
At least some hover help would be appreciated.

Done! I put hover help on s, sub, super, vimeo, and youtube.

-dh

M

Mee_n_Mac

EarthlingX":dwzslsug said:
Mee_n_Mac":dwzslsug said:
doublehelix":dwzslsug said:

-dh

My are separated by one empty line. Example :

Yup, w/o the seperator line I'm getting your sub text overlaid onto the xxxxxx below it. And still (just now) seeing the lower half of A-lynn's "normal" text clipped off when she uses superscripts (in Unexplained, here)

As a test I'll try again and see what happens.

This is a [super]super script[/super] and [sub]sub script[/sub] test.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Well it previews just as bad as yours and DH's above. I'll see what it looks like on the home PC (different version IE)

D

doublehelix

Yes, definitely let me know how it looks at home, Mee_n_Mac.

-dh

M

Mee_n_Mac

doublehelix":1era7lt2 said:
Yes, definitely let me know how it looks at home, Mee_n_Mac.

-dh

Well it looks the same at home using IE8.0.6001.

[super]super[/super] normal [sub]sub[/sub]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yup still getting "collisions" btw subscripted text and the line below it. What's apparently needed is another [super]1[/super]/[sub]2[/sub] a line spacing btw any line with subscripts in it and the line below it. This seems to happen with superscripted text and the line above such.

D

doublehelix

Mee_n_Mac":3mdw71cx said:
Well it looks the same at home using IE8.0.6001.

[super]super[/super] normal [sub]sub[/sub]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yup still getting "collisions" btw subscripted text and the line below it. What's apparently needed is another [super]1[/super]/[sub]2[/sub] a line spacing btw any line with subscripts in it and the line below it. This seems to happen with superscripted text and the line above such.

Must be an IE8 issue, as I see no collisions here - is anyone else having problems in either Firefox, Chrome, Safari on Mac or PC?

OK, I just checked things on my version of IE8 and see the problem you are seeing. It's definitely an IE issue. I can remove this BBCode if it continues to cause problems. Or, I welcome suggestions from you all.

-dh

M

Mee_n_Mac

doublehelix":34acmmoi said:
OK, I just checked things on my version of IE8 and see the problem you are seeing. It's definitely an IE issue. I can remove this BBCode if it continues to cause problems. Or, I welcome suggestions from you all.

-dh

Don't remove the code ! You might want to e-mail MS and tell them IE bites. ;)

Very odd superscripting works fine but subscripting does not. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts