What Came First Hydrogen or Atoms That Make up Dust Particle

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlb2

<font color="orange">Science fiction writer Harlan Ellison once said that the most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.<font color="yellow"><br /><br /><br />While the verdict is still out on the volume of stupidity, scientists have long known that hydrogen is indeed by far the most abundant element in the universe. When they peer through their telescopes, they see hydrogen in the vast clouds of dust and gas between stars -- especially in the denser regions that are collapsing to form new stars and planets. <font color="white"><br /><br />http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=17233<br /><br />Am I missing something here? I always thought before this article that molecular hydrogen (2H) was formed from interaction of ionized gas stuck on magnetic flux lines like the ones that spiral out though our solar system from the sun. What is your take on this? Is there more dust in the universe or more hydrogen????? <br /><br />What came first hydrogen or the atoms that make up dust particles???<br /></font></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

V

vogon13

H <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

I

igorsboss

IMHO, Atomic or Ionized H, then dust atoms, then H2.<br /><br />H exists as soon as there are protons (super duper high energy)<br /><br />Dust atoms exist as soon as there is fusion (very high energy and very high H concentrations)<br /><br />Things need to be fairly cool to form H2 (That's chemistry, not fusion, so it is much lower energy)<br /><br />While H2 is a very good candidate for the first molecule, F is the most chemically reactive element, so Flourine-based compounds may have formed before H2, althought they would have been far more rare... Who knows?

R

rlb2

Yes but in the beginning Molecular hydrogen formed way before dust??? <br /><br />This is like the classic case of what came first the chicken or the egg... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

V

valareos

not exactly chicken and the egg..<br /><br />Think on it this way. the dust is made up, at the subatomic level, of protons, neutrons, and electrons.<br /><br /><br />So which came first?<br /><br />Neutrons had to have came before all of them for the simple reason that they will decompose into a proton, a electron and a neutrino of some odd variety (antineutrino I THINK)<br /><br />ionized hydrogen is one single proton H-<br /><br />if the primordal dust was all neutrons, then the dust came first. If it was any other atomic structure, then the building blocks of those, the hydrogen, came first.<br /><br />blinks~<br /><br />thought came to mind... <br /><br />perhaps dark matter that is suppsoedly around is the leftover primordal neutrons from the original collapse of "Neutral" energy into matter<br /><br /><br />meh

R

rlb2

Didn't fusion begot all the heavier elements such as dust??? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

Saiph

dust is a conglomeration of heavier elements. as such Hydrogen and helium came first, then heavier elements were fused in stars. As the universe cooled, dust was formed.<br /><br />It may be that dust was formed before the chemical compound H2. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

L

labguy

"<i>dust is a conglomeration of heavier elements. as such Hydrogen and helium came first, then heavier elements were fused in stars. As the universe cooled, dust was formed. <br /><br />It may be that dust was formed before the chemical compound H2</i>."<br /><br /><br />That's close.<br />After the big bang, there were only two elements formed, Hydrogen and Helium. These formed when the temperature cooled enough to allow electrons to stay captured in their shells around a nucleus of protons/neutrons.<br /><br /><b>EVERY</b> element heavier than helium is called a "metal" in stellar evolution studies, and all elements heavier than helium were formed by fusion in the cores of first-generation stars. There could be no dust until the first-generation stars had died and expelled heavier elements by mass ejections when becoming a red giant, or in Supernovae. Since the largest and hottest stars have the shortest lives, most of the early heavy elements would have come fron stars gone supernova.

S

Saiph

Actually, I'm right, but didn't tell the whole story. Thanks for filling in the details.<br /><br />here's an interesting tidbit though: Trace amounts of lithium were also formed during the BB and really must have been formed then as stellar fusion really doesn't produce it. Lithium acts as a fusion catalyst for later types of fusion (non-proton proton chain fusion) allowing for the creation of heavier elements. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

G

grooble

Where did the matter for the big bang come from, does time really stretch back forever? If so how can there be a present?

R

R1

to groobles post, I need to know where the matter came from too, because<br />the instant that matter existed, its gravity slowed time down quite a bit.<br /><br />before matter, time very well may extend forever, but the fact that<br />makes me more uncomfortable is that the speed of time had to be incredibly fast, being so far from any gravity to slow clocks down.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

labguy

These two sites give a decent explanation of where matter came from after the big bang:<br /><br />http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/BBNS.html<br /><br />http://aether.lbl.gov/WWW/tour/elements/early/early_a.html<br /><br />Also, I notice that the post above my last one was correct in that trace amounts of lithium <b>were</b> synthesized.<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>the fact that makes me more uncomfortable is that the speed of time had to be incredibly fast, being so far from any gravity to slow clocks down.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> I don't understand this part of the question.(?) Time is linear and moves in only one direction. Differences in percieved time from different frames is another whole story. The sites listed above also show the time-frames for the production of matter after the big bang.

S

Saiph

GR descriptions of the BB theory usually indicate that time began during the BB as well. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts