What did I see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mylantus

I was wondering about something I saw tonight in the sky. I live about 50 miles outside Chicago. I was casually looking at the sky, somewhat in the area where the 2 end stars of the big dipper (the "Dipper" part) point toward, specifically maybe 30-40 degrees above the horizon in the northern sky. There was a very bright star that I noticed. As I watched, it slowly got dimmer and dimmer until it disappeared completely. The process took about 15 - 30 seconds. The time was around 9:00 PM US Central time. The star did not move at all as I watched it, so I didn't think it was a man made object or a meteor or anything like that. I was wondering if there was some astronomical event tonight that I happened to see, or if anyone knew what it could have been. Additionally, the skies are clear this evening, no cloud cover.
Thanks

E

eosophobiac

Most probably: Iridium Flare

*That is just one of many sites that will give you info on Iridium Flares. You can always search for more info.

M

MeteorWayne

I'd agree, most likely an Iridium. If you can give what town you live in, we can look it up.
They actually do move, but very slowly, and unles there's a bright star nearby (which there aren't in that part of the sky) you might not notice the motion.

M

mylantus

I live in Oswego, Il, right near Aurora. Thanks, I never heard of an Iridium flare. Time to follow that link. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts