What do constellations look like from other stars?

Jun 7, 2021
Is there any software that shows what constellations look like from other nearby stars? I am curious to see what the rest of Cassiopeia looks like from Archid (Eta Cassiopeiae).

Reactions: CCooper96
Feb 11, 2021
They'll look the same. The only thing that can change is the sky orientation, but anything else will remain the same.

COLGeek

Apr 3, 2020
Considering that the universe is 3-dimensional, perspective will change and star positions will be relatively different from various viewpoints. So, what looks like the "Big Dipper" to us, would look very different to an observer looking at the same arrangement of stars from a 90 degree alternative location (relative to our observational lines).

I would think this could be easily replicated with arranged objects in the middle of a field and then looking at them from different locations. You could even use a drone to see the objects from above (getting below them might be a little more difficult).

Jun 7, 2021
They'll look the same. The only thing that can change is the sky orientation, but anything else will remain the same.
I think you misunderstand my question. Archid (η Cassiopeiae A) is a very sunlike star and part of a binary system, less than 20 light years from the sun. Most of the other stars in Cassiopeia are further away.
My question is how would the other stars in Cassiopeia look from a hypothetical inhabited planet circling Archid? Would Cassiopeia be recognizable? How far would the positions of these stars be shifted, relative to the other stars?
Lastly, is there some software that could draw Cassiopeia as seen from Archid, or any other constellation as seen from any star other than the sun, and compare it to how the constellation appears from earth?

Catastrophe

Approaching asteroid? Is this THE one?
Feb 18, 2020
As with any perspective, things far away will not change much. Those just in front of your nose will change dramatically. Put a finger upright on the tip of your nose. Then close each eye alternately. There! You got it. That's perspective.

Cat :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS