What happened before the Big Bang?

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
As many of you will know, I have long favoured a cyclic model. No singularity, just a nexus or constriction; compressed space-time zooming through a constriction (not infinite density point) and expanding out into the other side.

Imagine my joy at the following:
"The main sign that we have terrain yet to be explored is the presence of a "singularity," or a point of infinite density, at the beginning of the Big Bang. Taken at face value, this tells us that at one point, the universe was crammed into an infinitely tiny, infinitely dense point. This is obviously absurd, and what it really tells us is that we need new physics to solve this problem — our current toolkit just isn't good enough."

However, that does leave us a possible problem over entropy. Must entropy decrease over the contraction part of the cycle? What is the entropy supposed to be at a hypothetical BB? Is it maximum or minimum?

As a throwaway, I might ask if anyone has expressed the idea that "time" may become logarithmic or some other relationship near "t - 0", so that these ever decreasing time intervals are "actually" longer than they appear. Surely so, as "there is nothing new under the Sun".

I really would appreciate your comments.

Cat :)

Entropy gives us the “arrow of time”. Perhaps near infinite density time flips. If so, then could entropy reverse as well?

But there is no mention in this article of possible future objective evidence for a cyclic model. No objective test, no scientific model.

If entropy "flipped" then heat would move from cooler areas to hotter areas, with no limit on how hot it could get. Currently, heat moves from hotter areas to cooler areas, always seeking a middle ground. If it tended to concentrate at hotter areas we would all die. So I don't favor reversing entropy.

If entropy "flipped" then heat would move from cooler areas to hotter areas, with no limit on how hot it could get. Currently, heat moves from hotter areas to cooler areas, always seeking a middle ground. If it tended to concentrate at hotter areas we would all die. So I don't favor reversing entropy.
Agreed, but events prior to Inflation were likely even more extreme. If we understood time, we might get a better glimpse at this.

First we should discover the essence of gravity, which should be a lot easier. 😀

Latest posts