What if Earth were a super-Earth?

What would happen if our Earth were much larger than it is now?

What if Earth were a super-Earth? : Read more

"The reality is that scientists have more questions about super-Earths than they have answers. And we don't fully understand the physics of our own interior, much less that of a planet many solar systems away, Luger said. We don't know what would happen if Earth were supersized or closer to the sun. But, so far, it seems very fortunate that we aren't living on a planet that's any of those things."

Interesting report. I ran a MS SQL query against the exoplanet site I use and found 162 that are listed with masses in the range 2 to 10 earth masses. The average semi-major axis is 0.20 AU, so most orbit very close to their host stars. It is clear from astronomy that we have no super-earths in orbit around the Sun in our solar system (today). The 162 super-earths show eccentricity ranges from 0 to 0.42, many have large orbital eccentricities. Using the Big Bang model for the origin of the universe, it seems we are *fortunate* because of random particle collisions as to why we live here on Earth and did not evolve on a super-earth :)

Here is the exoplanet site I use, The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia
Presently 4183 are confirmed. 9 super-earths are in orbits 0.66 to 3.94 a.u. from their parent stars and large, 4.4 to nearly 9 earth masses. Many others orbit closer than Venus or Mercury to their parent stars. Here is a more detailed report on some super-earths from TESS, Mass determinations of the three mini-Neptunes transiting TOI-125 Some are super-earth size, others mini-neptunes. Modeling solar system differences and varieties is difficult. This includes the evolution of the proto-earth allowing our planet to evolve into the present, very habitable earth without suffering catastrophic collisions that destroy the proto-earth or accreting earth or creating a super-earth or mini-neptune where we live today.

Latest posts