WHAT MAKES EARTH GOING AROUND?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alfa_georgios

Hello everyone!
Actually i wonder if it would be still possible for earth orbiting around it's axis without
having a fiery core.
Thank you!

M

MeteorWayne

Yes the core rotates just like the rest of the earth. It's a remnant of the angular momentum (spin) that was imparted to the planet during it's formation, and as a result of the impact that created the moon.

The core is very hot, by the way, but it's not fiery, since there's no oxygen to burn anything with.

A

alfa_georgios

MeteorWayne":2269rmhs said:
Yes the core rotates just like the rest of the earth. It's a remnant of the angular momentum (spin) that was imparted to the planet during it's formation, and as a result of the impact that created the moon.

The core is very hot, by the way, but it's not fiery, since there's no oxygen to burn anything with.

Thank you so much MeteorWayne, i do have a better understanding now, but actually my question is whether
the earth would be still rotating its axis in case its core was cold instead of very hot. Thank you in advance.

M

MeteorWayne

Cold or hot would make no substantial difference. In fact though, it appears that because the core is molton it doesn't have to rotate at the same speed as the surface, and there is a very slight difference in rotation speed. That would not occur if the whole planet was solid. But again, it's quite small and hard to measure.

Wayne

A

alfa_georgios

MeteorWayne":31vw77xi said:
Cold or hot would make no substantial difference. In fact though, it appears that because the core is molton it doesn't have to rotate at the same speed as the surface, and there is a very slight difference in rotation speed. That would not occur if the whole planet was solid. But again, it's quite small and hard to measure.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts