What sort of things should a beginner be doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gypstar

Just curious,

But right now I'm using my 16x50 binoculars to locate constellations, star clusters, and planets. I guess u culd say I'm "getting familiar" with the night sky? I'm also learning how to locate things in the sky. Just wondering if I'm starting out the way I shuld be starting out?

Any suggestions as to other things I shuld be doing?

C

Captain_Salty

that's good knowledge to have before getting a telescope, which can be more challenging to locate objects with. But it sounds like you'll be ready for a telescope soon so maybe start doing your research on which one to buy, assuming you don't already have one.

If you like a challenge there are some harder objects you could try to find with binoculars, you'll just need a dark sky and a good sky chart. Such as some of the brighter galaxies and nebula and perhaps uranus and neptune if you haven't found them aleady.
Spotting as many Messier objects as you can should keep you busy for a while :)

A

andrew_t1000

Get a good desktop planetarium program for your computer.

I'd suggest Voyager if you have a Mac, or get a Linux partition on your Win machine, install KStars, it's free and really good to use and upgrade.

After that, keep a close eye to this site, Wayne gives us all a heads up for seasonal meteor showers and other worthwhile events.

M

MeteorWayne

gypstar":3nlu0sro said:
Just curious,

But right now I'm using my 16x50 binoculars to locate constellations, star clusters, and planets. I guess u culd say I'm "getting familiar" with the night sky? I'm also learning how to locate things in the sky. Just wondering if I'm starting out the way I shuld be starting out?

Any suggestions as to other things I shuld be doing?

I wish more people would start as you are. I think it's great. Far too many folks start out with a goto scope, and wouldn't recognize Orion if he reached down and clubbed them in the head. Learning the sky, the natural motion and flow of the planets (and where the ecliptic is), where the easily visible galaxies and star clusters are, and noticing the dozen satellites an hour you can see this time of year (in the NH anyway) give you a foundation you can carry the rest of your life.

There are others who disagree with me, (mostly the folks that have spent $6K on a goto scope and CCD setup), but to me you are starting out exactly the right way. Learning and appreciating the sky.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts