What Technologies Do Think Will Be The Next Big Thing???

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

Peripheral nerves regrow but slowly. It can take a very long time for them to grow the length of a limb so things are sort-of reconnected, which is why rehab takes so long.

They can only reconnect it if it is not missing or too damge.If it is too damage or missing they cannot reconnect it and you will lose that harm ,finger ,foot or leg or what ever it is.

Previously it was thought that central nervous system tissue (brain, spinal cord etc.) didn't grow back, but this is no longer the case.

I think what the body can do some times is by pass the damge nerves .It like you have 3 roads going from your home to your work now that say one road you cannot go on :eek: so you can take the other road to work.

Much work is now going into bridging damaged spinal cords and brain tissue, and the results are very promising especially as concerns spinal cord injuries.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying they came up with a drug to regrow it?

One development is the use of antibodies to negate the action of NOGO, a family of molecules that prevent nerve fiber regrowth. Also interesting is that olfactory glia cells, normally involved in smell and not present in the cord, can be used at the injury site to promote regeneration of cord nerve fibers.

Not sure what glia cells are or how antibodies wil be used to regrow nerves

M

marcel_leonard

nec208":2rsw86xg said:
They can only reconnect it if it is not missing or too damge.If it is too damage or missing they cannot reconnect it and you will lose that harm ,finger ,foot or leg or what ever it is.

Previously it was thought that central nervous system tissue (brain, spinal cord etc.) didn't grow back, but this is no longer the case.

I think what the body can do some times is by pass the damge nerves .It like you have 3 roads going from your home to your work now that say one road you cannot go on :eek: so you can take the other road to work.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying they came up with a drug to regrow it?

All we're saying is that as shown on CBS 60 Minutes on a story on Extracellular Matrix its showing great potential, but it will probably another decade before we see people actually generating new kidneys or other organs...

H

halman

What I am waiting to see is a diesel-powered hybrid-electric vehicle. A generator is the perfect way to take power off of a gas turbine, because the load can be modulated precisely, without the loss of gaseous power transmission. A turbine engine is about 97 percent efficient in burning its fuel, whereas a reciprocating engine will run between 25 and 35 percent efficiency. Power output on turbines is much higher per mass unit, offsetting the weight of generator and batteries.

The way that I envision it, a small Auxiliary Power Unit turbine would keep the main turbine spinning at about 20-25 percent operating RPM, so that it can be brought on line quickly. When demand requires power production, the main turbine ignites, spins up to full RPM, and the APU goes into standby, being spun at partial RPM by airflow for the main turbine, for instance, or a generator/motor.

Diesel fuel has more energy contained in it than gasoline, because of the paraffin. Getting the paraffin to burn properly can be tricky. but there are ways to accomplish it.

I believe that we could realize much higher mileage with such a system than what is being done with reciprocating gasoline fired engines.

A

annodomini2

halman":25lfsj67 said:
What I am waiting to see is a diesel-powered hybrid-electric vehicle. A generator is the perfect way to take power off of a gas turbine, because the load can be modulated precisely, without the loss of gaseous power transmission. A turbine engine is about 97 percent efficient in burning its fuel, whereas a reciprocating engine will run between 25 and 35 percent efficiency. Power output on turbines is much higher per mass unit, offsetting the weight of generator and batteries.

The way that I envision it, a small Auxiliary Power Unit turbine would keep the main turbine spinning at about 20-25 percent operating RPM, so that it can be brought on line quickly. When demand requires power production, the main turbine ignites, spins up to full RPM, and the APU goes into standby, being spun at partial RPM by airflow for the main turbine, for instance, or a generator/motor.

Diesel fuel has more energy contained in it than gasoline, because of the paraffin. Getting the paraffin to burn properly can be tricky. but there are ways to accomplish it.

I believe that we could realize much higher mileage with such a system than what is being done with reciprocating gasoline fired engines.

UK government just put up £15m for research into this.

A

annodomini2

marcel_leonard":2uc04kez said:
nec208":2uc04kez said:

All we're saying is that as shown on CBS 60 Minutes on a story on Extracellular Matrix its showing great potential, but it will probably another decade before we see people actually generating new kidneys or other organs...

Saw an article few months back how (in Rats) they had turned off the immune system with Gene therapy, then removed appendages from the animals, with the immune system disabled, the removed appendages would regrow with the animals quarantined obviously.

They would then use Gene Therapy again to reinstate the animals immune system.

Or so the article went.

A

annodomini2

Taking this back to space related,

The next big thing, is not really new and covered many times on this forum.

Fully reusable launch systems, whatever format it takes.

H

halman

annodomini2":vh63wz28 said:
Taking this back to space related,

The next big thing, is not really new and covered many times on this forum.

Fully reusable launch systems, whatever format it takes.

Check out the thread "Cheap and easy ways into space" in this forum. That is a totally reusable system for putting about a dozen people into orbit, and bringing them back to the launch site. The launch might be by catapult or by rocket sled, but the launch track is essential for carrying the weight of the orbiter and the carrier wing combined without the carrier wing having to have a massive undercarriage.

H

halman

annodomini2":37pjrv60 said:
halman":37pjrv60 said:

UK government just put up £15m for research into this.

Wonderful! Gas turbine engines running on diesel fuel (the 'gas' means that the turbine is designed to work with a gas, not gasoline, by the way,) are already powering portable generator sets, at about 1/2 the weight of the diesel engine versions.

Attempts were made to use turbine engines in vehicles back in the early 1960's but the approach then was similar to a torque converter, where the output section of the primary turbine tried to turn the input section of the drive turbine. This is enormously inefficient, and was dropped within a few years. A few race cars were built which were turbine powered, but their gearboxes were very complex, and repeatedly failed.

Torque cannot be applied to a turbine quickly, because it will cause the turbine to stall and flameout. But computer controlled generators can come up to power gradually, while batteries and capacitors provide the current for quick acceleration. Long steep hills will be taken slowly, but a proper design will allow most inclines to be climbed. People have come to regard fossil fuels as being inherently dirty, but how we burn them makes a big difference in what comes out the tailpipe. And fossil fuels are unsurpassed in the amount of energy they contain per given unit, whether it is weight or volume.

By figuring out how to avoid throwing three quarters of that energy away on a reciprocating engine, I believe that we can produce mileage in the 150 to 200 miles per gallon range, at the very least, and a turbine-powered hybrid properly designed might be capable of better than that. Many people don't realize that no one ever set out to design a gasoline engine. They are the result of injecting gasoline into the cylinders of steam engines and detonating it to increase the torque, because steam engines have no torque. It was so powerful that people began to modify the steam engines so that they ran on gasoline alone. And this is when gasoline was what the waste products from making kerosene were called.

Gasoline today is formulated specifically for reciprocating engines, to prevent knock and ping, and even contains cleaning compounds. Diesel fuel is the most widely available fuel in the world, and distills out of crude oil at much lower temperatures. Applications in cold locations must have a way of preventing the paraffin from freezing, but those are widely known. The power to weight ratio of turbines is substantially higher that for any reciprocating engine in terms of horsepower or watts, which allows for more energy storage for the same powerplant weight. Incorporating capacitors will allow for instant power, because even batteries take some time to come up to full output.

M

marcel_leonard

It would seem to me that the logical solution is not to make automobiles that run on hydrogen, diesel, gas, bio-fuels, thor-nuclear or solar fuel cells, but rather a mixture of all the above.........in other words develop multifunction multi-fuel cars... :mrgreen:

N

Nothke

The only invention that didn't change from its original design in more than a century is Eddisons light bulb! But be aware, here comes OLED!!!

OLEDs will very certainly take the place of todays light bulbs, and as well as any other display tech... LCD, plasma display, CRT...

Thats practicaly an organic material that when connected to power source (affected by directed electrons) glows. There are three types of that substance (most useful ones, not all of them) and each produces red, green, and blue monochrome colors, which when combined can produce any color in a visible spectre.

I heard that it can be actually be made in the form of paint, so imagine you just paint a wall, and put two wires on the wall, plug it in power grid, and you've got a glowing wall!!! No more need for lightbulbs! Plus they say its gonna be cheap to produce and very energy efficient...

There you've got a revolution

(thats what I know so far, but maybe I don't know precisely)

HERE'S A USEFULL LINK TO THIS DISCUSSION:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emerging_technologies

M

marcel_leonard

Nothke":1h1c13xw said:
The only invention that didn't change from its original design in more than a century is Eddisons light bulb! But be aware, here comes OLED!!!

OLEDs will very certainly take the place of todays light bulbs, and as well as any other display tech... LCD, plasma display, CRT...

Thats practicaly an organic material that when connected to power source (affected by directed electrons) glows. There are three types of that substance (most useful ones, not all of them) and each produces red, green, and blue monochrome colors, which when combined can produce any color in a visible spectre.

I heard that it can be actually be made in the form of paint, so imagine you just paint a wall, and put two wires on the wall, plug it in power grid, and you've got a glowing wall!!! No more need for lightbulbs! Plus they say its gonna be cheap to produce and very energy efficient...

I for one believe the revolution going to take place when ScramJets race across the sky. A scramjet is a type of jet engine designed to operate at the speeds of rockets. Its main difference from a rocket is that it collects air from the atmosphere to burn its fuel rather than carrying an oxidizing substance on board.

A

annodomini2

marcel_leonard":llpynn4b said:
Nothke":llpynn4b said:

I for one believe the revolution going to take place when ScramJets race across the sky. A scramjet is a type of jet engine designed to operate at the speeds of rockets. Its main difference from a rocket is that it collects air from the atmosphere to burn its fuel rather than carrying an oxidizing substance on board.

I personally prefer LACE engines which are Air breathing Rocket engines, more complicated than a scramjet, but can operate at any speed and in or out of atmosphere.

D

docm

halman":16kr1h40 said:
What I am waiting to see is a diesel-powered hybrid-electric vehicle.
Opel has been working on a Voltec (Volt's power system) sedan with a diesel range extender for 2012-2013. A concept for a bigger-than-Volt Opel is due to be unveiled at the Geneva auto show March 8, and a little hint was a grille shot released last week.

Also; an small company (with GM and lots of others looking over their shoulders) is working on a turbine powered range-extender for Voltec type vehicles - otherwise known as series hybrids. They're making a lot of progress and are due to show a working prototype soon. Could be a very big deal.

Opel's concept teaser
opel_voltec.jpg

C

craigmac

annodomini2":6nuh537c said:
marcel_leonard":6nuh537c said:
Nothke":6nuh537c said:

I personally prefer LACE engines which are Air breathing Rocket engines, more complicated than a scramjet, but can operate at any speed and in or out of atmosphere.

How does it work?

N

nec208

nec208":10hf91qj said:
Peripheral nerves regrow but slowly. It can take a very long time for them to grow the length of a limb so things are sort-of reconnected, which is why rehab takes so long.

Much work is now going into bridging damaged spinal cords and brain tissue, and the results are very promising especially as concerns spinal cord injuries.

One development is the use of antibodies to negate the action of NOGO, a family of molecules that prevent nerve fiber regrowth. Also interesting is that olfactory glia cells, normally involved in smell and not present in the cord, can be used at the injury site to promote regeneration of cord nerve fibers.

Not sure what glia cells are or how antibodies wil be used to regrow nerves

Voltec type vehicles are electric.

A

aaron38

nimbus":2zi9tz85 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_air_cycle_engine%23Principle_of_operation

The SABRE engine literature claims that the LACE design has too many problems to be successful. But hey, I hope they both work.

C

craigmac

CBS's 60 Minutes story on Extracellular Matrix its showing great potential, but it will probably another decade before we see people actually generating new kidneys or other organs; but the clinical trials show real-time results w/ Gulf, Iraq, and Afghanistan War veterans at Walter Reed VA hospital...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts