What the . . . .?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve01

The latest image gallery on space.com - the best from Chandra . . . there is a photo of Titan(yes a moon of Saturn) and its shadow going across the Crab Nebula! I'm just not getting it. Could someone explain why they would super-impose those two images?

I

iron_sun_254

It's not supperimposed. Titan crossed in front of the Crab Nebula creating and shadow from our perspective on Earth.

S

Saiph

I see your confustion steve.<br /><br />Titan <i>can't</i> cast a shadow on the crab nebula that we'd be able to detect (due to lack of intensity and size) considering how far away the crab nebula is.<br /><br />However, I believe the picture is of an "occultation" and the writer just used the wrong term. The spot they show <i>is</i> titan, and it's blocking out the x-rays from the crab, thereby showing a black spot. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

I sent a suggestion in to bring their attention to the mistake. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

G

germaine

HI there! just new here.. just visited the site because we just had our astrocamp in CAsa REal Montessori.. (nyone here knew that?) I was not that really curious with these celestial bodies not until now... I was really amazed... because we really had this answer sheet thingy and i and 2 of my friends kept on asking some personnels there.. I was just amaze sa wide knowledge nila.. my friend and i remarked..."ANG GALING, KABISADO NILA!" hehe... nyways... sana welcome ako here! <br /><br />chao!

A

alokmohan

If it is a mistake,bad thing.They should correcet it now.

W

wisefool

Germaine, so you are a space chick. Also a spaced chick? While you waste away on wicked winter nights, comfort your bones with frequent visits to my astronomy links site, paying special attention to the "For Beginners and Everybody Else" subsection: http://members.cox.net/clarkt7/astronomylinks

S

Saiph

right.<br /><br /><br />Or, if they wish to keep the term shadow, they would be accurate in saying its the X-ray shadow of Titan cast on earth (since we're observing it) due to the x-ray light emitted from the crab nebulae.<br /><br />Basically they need to reverse the direction of the shadow. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.