What was your favorite sci-fi sound effect?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Oscar winning sound effects from Ben Burtt's Star Wars team, particularly the machine guns in Marion Ravenwood's bar and the climax, the golden lid of the ark spiraling down from the sky to vacuum re-seal the ark following the wrath of God. None of the other Indiana Jones movies could match that climax.

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":2lbsk7y1 said:
...Probably the reason we don't hear about this much? You go ahead and blow that thing...and then suddenly you're confronted by a love-struck Elephant...and he's probably not going to be much amused at seeing you there.

Yeah.. sitting in a bush being confronted by a rampantly aroused pachyderm with a mean disposition looking for an outlet for his suddenly inflamed fecundity would not contribute highly to one's chances of long-term survival.

There must be thousands of old and rusting Elepant Calls in the brush scattered throughout Africa lying next to pairs of empty, weatherbeaten boots, dilapidated safari hats and cargo pants with curious tears in the fabric...

S

starsinmyeyes44

Not that it's my favorite...but the sound effect played when the Predator's point of view was shown on "Predator" was pretty cool.

J

jim48

You should hear my mating call when I'm thinking about Starsinmyeyes44. That's pretty cool too! :D

E

Eman_3

One science fiction movie sound is so powerful that it could be played to anyone, and they will immediately recognize the sound, it's source, and the movie. Unforgettable to the nth degree.

Darth Vader breathing.

L

LoneStar77

All of the sound FX mentioned are good, and many of them are favorites of mine, but the one that my mind keeps going back to when I long for rich, compelling sound effect is the deep warning buzzer in 2001: Space Odyssey when Dave is in the away pod without a space suit helmet and about to open the hatch. Still gives me goosebumps.

H

HRacct

LoneStar77":1nyjyav7 said:
All of the sound FX mentioned are good, and many of them are favorites of mine, but the one that my mind keeps going back to when I long for rich, compelling sound effect is the deep warning buzzer in 2001: Space Odyssey when Dave is in the away pod without a space suit helmet and about to open the hatch. Still gives me goosebumps.

Just a short funny story about Space Odyssey. When I was in college back in the day, Space Odessey soundtrack was out. Someone in the middle of the night got into the heat vents of the dorm and put a cassette tape of the opening theme in there, with a long leader tape so they could get away. It had to be about 2A.M., when the blaring part of that theme started playing throughout the heater ducts to the WHOLE dorm. We had a actual dorm mom, called Mrs. B., who went down to the maintence room, and took the tape machine and everything. Funny, NO ONE ever claimed credit for that stunt, but I still remember it to this day. You ought to seen the sight of that elder lady in a bathrobe storming down to that room to seize that cassette player!!!

Z

ZenGalacticore

The sound of the 'blasters' in Star Wars was derived from hitting a utility pole steel stabilizing cable with a rod. (I always thought that was creative.)

Btw, where in the heck did they get the sound for the Tie Fighters? That one was cool too, brrrrrrraauugghhhhhhhhhh Of course, hard to transcribe!

The sound of the Death Star's superbeam was good, as was the sound of the antiproton beam of the 'Doomsday Machine' in Star Trek.

And I liked the 'mother computer jabber' in the original 'Alien'. Ricka-bocka-ricka-bocka-ricka-bock-a-bock. Doitch! :lol:

[No edit. Just brain-short-circuit on my part.]

Z

ZenGalacticore

Well, that's what some of mine were.

Say, where's Alp?

N

nimbus

The low rattling synthetic vocal from Terminators in T4. E.G. In the human concentration camp scene where they're herded through a hangar with T1s patrolling between double-filed humans.

Z

ZenGalacticore

nimbus":2gm0zpbo said:
The low rattling synthetic vocal from Terminators in T4. E.G. In the human concentration camp scene where they're herded through a hangar with T1s patrolling between double-filed humans.

There was a "Terminator IV"?

I missed that, but, it's understandable. I'm getting old. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts