What would happen if a mini-black hole struck earth?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

derekmcd

<font color="orange">WTF!?!? I don't think microscopic blackholes has ever been created in laboratories. If it did it would be world shattering news. Can anyone confirm this?</font><br /><br />They haven't done it... yet. The LHC at CERN should be able to create ones with microscopic masses that will evaporate almost instantly. That's assuming they can create temperatures and energies high enough (and they should). They are hoping to detect Hawking Radiation as the blackholes (hyperdensities) will evaporate to fast to detect.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

U

ufomaybe

I asked the same questions years ago but since I belive in God, I don't think he would ever let those things happen.<br /><br />One of the reasons why I think we were never hit with a giant asteroid since the dinos were gone.<br /><br />Everything does seem controled and stable out there that nothing bad ever happens like that near us.<br /><br />Not saying its proof of God but proof enough for me.

D

dragon04

You have to figure that since even the smallest black holes are described in terms of multiple solar masses, that if such a black hole vectored in on Earth, really bad things would happen.<br /><br />If said "mini black hole" was some fraction of the mass of Earth, a collision would act no differently than any other impactor of equivalent mass, I would think. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

D

derekmcd

<i>One of the reasons why I think we were never hit with a giant asteroid since the dinos were gone.</i><br /><br />In cosmological terms... the Yucatan Impact wasn't really that long ago. It would be a mistake for us to get lazy. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

derekmcd

I can't wait to find out what might happen. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

S

skeptic

<br /> /> Supermassive black holes are from what I understand over 50% efficient at converting mass into energy. <br /><br />I don't understand that at all. Can you explain it to me?

A

agnau

Newtonian, I hope never to find out. That said:<br /><br />I agree with some of the other comments, the earth would likely blast apart if the mass were significant with respect to the planet. However, such a mass would cause other signs of the impending danger prior to reaching us such as changes in the asteroid belt, changes in the moon's orbit, or changes in the light from other celestial objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts