What would you want if you were first to return to the Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Suppose you were the first astronaut to stand on the Moon since Gene Cernan. Which of the following would you want?
  • A space suit that looks like an Apollo era suit regardless of what is under, oops, above the skin
  • A lunar limo waiting to take you to the autograph area
  • A conversation with the President (probably not Obama) from the Lunar surface.
Yeah, this is kind of tongue in cheek. Have fun.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Hey Will.

You forgot:

D. Peace and Quiet

After all, I uh, got kinda used to it on the Moon. :)

W

willpittenger

ZenGalacticore":2ic0572n said:
D. Peace and Quiet

After all, I uh, got kinda used to it on the Moon. :)
For Peace, don't go to the Moon. Don't forget that micro-meteorite rain the place gets. Better take an umbrella. As for quiet, don't leave and turn off or remove your radio. I also think there is a crowd of aliens waiting for that autograph.

V

Vodka_Resupply_Mission

Atmosphere. ;)

That, and vodka, of course. I'd like to be the first to get totally hammered and the first astronaut to get fired during a mission. I hear vodka chills up nicely under my own lunar shadow. Then I'd walk around, dragging my feet in the regolith to spell out giant dirty words visible from Earth.

OK, you said we could have some fun with this, and since this is my first post, I thought I'd keep the mass down.

Damn good to meet all of you.

C

Chryseplanatia

Oh, I was gonna say "Air" but got beat to it.

How about oranges? Then I can beat John Young's record for the most methane generated on the moon in a short period.

W

willpittenger

Chryseplanatia":35tbnirq said:
Oh, I was gonna say "Air" but got beat to it.

How about oranges? Then I can beat John Young's record for the most methane generated on the moon in a short period.
I don't think we have the budget to send you with either. Try asking Jim48 if the aliens will have some.

S

Shaky

Al Bean talked about this on NPR with Chaikin and Schmidt. They all thought the one thing that they didn't have in Apollo would be to have more time - time to just enjoy it.

V

Vodka_Resupply_Mission

Shaky":268osj8n said:
Al Bean talked about this on NPR with Chaikin and Schmidt. They all thought the one thing that they didn't have in Apollo would be to have more time - time to just enjoy it.

Bean is fantastic, and time is indeed what we all wish for.

J

jim48

A stiff drink and my photo on the front page of every newspaper!

W

willpittenger

Well, seeing as the economy is so dire that we can't send any air with you, by the time you get there, you will be too desperate for a "mere test."

F

Fomalhautian

I would need my Ipod for sure. I can't think of a better place to listen to "Brain Damage" by Pink Floyd.

E

earth_bound_misfit

Fomalhautian":16mtffob said:
I would need my Ipod for sure. I can't think of a better place to listen to "Brain Damage" by Pink Floyd.

Hehe, I'm with ya there ;)

W

willpittenger

Fomalhautian":3c0qro2r said:
Especially since we aren't able to send you with air. You are on your own there. Good luck.

F

Fomalhautian

I kinda assumed that NASA would send me up with the same supplies that the astronauts get. If that's the case I'd need some equpiment. I was watching a Discovery Channel show and they mentioned a lab in California that found if you took synthetic regolith and compacted it, then heated it up to 700 degrees..... it turns into water. So there's my water for my garden and I would then need a water to oxygen converter for my air.

I want to listen to "Brain Damage", not develop it.

S

StarRider1701

How about a barrel (or two) of some kind of "quick-rete" stuff that works with regolith, turning it into an adobe or concrete type material. That and a big shovel, certianly don't want to live on the surface. Gotta watch that sunburn on those long summer days :lol: Then listen to Dark Side of the Moon! Gotta fill the Floyd void!

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

Gloves with longer fingers. It must have been pretty irritiating to always be scratching the rubber inside with your finger nails.

M

MeteorWayne

2 off topic posts removed to a holding area for moderator review.

Status
Not open for further replies.