Whatever happened to the Ba-2c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

torino10

Whatever happened to Andrew Beals Ba-2c rocket engine?<br />I know he pulled the plug on it but did someone else buy the rights or anything?<br /> Does anybody know why he never finished testing it?<br />If he had finished just testing the motor I would think he could have at least recoverred some of his money.<br /><br />The engine was supposed to be almost as big as the Saturn V in thrust but using more current technology.<br />

V

vulture2

I believe an upper stage engine was tested but not the larger first stage engine. Work was stopped because no government support or other initial customers appeared. The peroxide/kerosine approach had some advantages (storable, nonoxic) but storability is not all that important for a booster, which uses all fuel within minutes of launch, and it did take a hit on Isp which made it difficult to compete with the EELVs on cost.

S

serak_the_preparer

Same thing that happened to the Watusi, so I hear.

M

mikejz

He failed as a business<br /><br />Poor project management<br /><br />Figured 'if you build it, they will come' and didnt try and secure orders.<br /><br />Proposed a foreign launch site without thinking of ITAR. <br /><br />Didnt realise that DoD was the biggest customer for LVs, not Com Sats.<br /><br />Pure pressure fed let to complex tank designs (The rocket was to build out of carbon fiber). <br /><br />Did'nt have pockets as deep as Musks, so when problems occurred he went under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts