• You still have a chance to win a Celestron Telescope! Click here to learn more!

What's the chance that all extra terrestrial life is vegan?

Oct 14, 2019
Or even most extraterrestrial creatures?

[KIND OF SORT OF A SPOILER ALERT TO THE SHOW 'TRAVELLERS' ON NETFLIX]

I'm watching the show Travellers and it seems like the folks from the future are disgusted by consumption of meat or literally anything else from an animal (milk, cheese, maybe even honey?) and this is definitely not the first show that's had this as part of their plot.

That took me to the admittedly random place of wondering if other beings had already figured this out. Have they possibly already done away with eating meat or anything from another living, sentient creature altogether?

Vegan aliens. I'm asking about hypothetical vegan aliens.

I need to watch less TV.

Oct 21, 2019
Lol, sound like some producers pushing their own personal agendas. Anyway I think the chances are extremely slim. Meat eating allows for acquiring calories much faster than eating vegetation.

Oct 14, 2019
Well, we already make Impossible Burgers. They're pretty good.
So it's not really impossible to get away from meat. I don't eat as much meat now because my GF is a vegetarian, and its easier. I still eat cheese and eggs and so does she.
We have also talked about how ALL food means we kill things. Plants, fungi, bacteria, yeast, it's all alive and maybe we are not thinking any of it through enough.

Anyway, now I'm hungry for another Impossible Burger. :D

jpishgar

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 22, 2019
One of the most infamous takes on the subject of extraterrestrial life and how they might view us is "They're Made out of Meat" by Terry Bisson - a short story about two aliens discussing humans.

"First it wants to talk to us. Then I imagine it wants to explore the universe, contact other sentients, swap ideas and information. The usual."

"We're supposed to talk to meat?"

"That's the idea. That's the message they're sending out by radio. 'Hello. Anyone out there? Anyone home?' That sort of thing."

"They actually do talk, then. They use words, ideas, concepts?"

"Oh, yes. Except they do it with meat."

"I thought you just told me they used radio."

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat."

It may be our optimistic view that intelligent life capable of reaching out and making contact are, in fact, vegan. Otherwise, we may well be considered tasty. I imagine it would depend on how the alien culture would view life itself, either in what we view as an enlightened perspective, or something ultimately more sinister. There's some schools of thinking that maintain that any sentience capable of evolving interstellar spaceflight would also become capable of sustaining life without the need for mundane agricultural approaches, including base harvesting of animal protein. Hyper-efficient synthesis of necessary life-sustaining foodstuffs is far more controllable and refined in a laboratory setting. But... we have cars, and people still very much enjoy riding horses.

I expect that when alien life is discovered, if multiple sentient beings and civilizations are revealed, we'll learn of a broad variety and takes on what they like to eat (or even if they DO eat). And ideally, as MatchFive said above - that we aren't on the menu.

ASK THE COMMUNITY