When is the next solar maximum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darksoul100792

Hi, my name is Krysta, I just joined here...well, anyway...my friend asked me when the next solar maximum was earlier on the phone. I wanted to answer, but I couldn't...mainly because I wasn't sure myself as to when it was to occur. Could someone tell me when the next solar maximum will be?

D

doubletruncation

Hi Krysta,<br /><br />The last peak was 2001-2002, so the next peak will probably be 2012-2013 (the period being 11 years).<br /><br />There's an interesting prediction though that the start of the next cycle may be about 6-12 months late from the 11 year extrapolation. See for example:<br />http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1690_1.asp<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

P

pizzaguy

Can't say for sure when it'll be, but I can sure as hell tell you, <i>we are at solar minimum now!</i><br /><br />HF Radio (which depends on solar flux for good propagation) has been DEAD, DULL and BORING for almost a year now.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1"><em>Note to Dr. Henry:  The testosterone shots are working!</em></font> </div>

D

darksoul100792

Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at those websites.

D

drwayne

I remember somewhere around 77-78 when I got into CB for a time - it was near maximum, you could really tell the difference between day and night back then....<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

P

pizzaguy

That peak was fun, and the peak around 2001 was good, too. I drove from Georgia to Michigan with a 15 watt 10 meter radio and a simple antenna and worked all over the USA, Canada and South America while driving down I-75.<br /><br />Now, it's close to useless most of the time. Given another year or two, and things will pick up. I can't wait. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1"><em>Note to Dr. Henry:  The testosterone shots are working!</em></font> </div>

D

darksoul100792

I heard the peak around 2001 was good. I heard that from my science teacher after we watched a video about auroras. She said there was a nice one that you could see as far south as Mexico. (I live in Rhode Island.) Since my teacher said that, my friend wanted to know when the next one will be so she can see one...even though she'll probably be in Florida then.<br /><br />My dad told me that you could see them in North Dakota late at night sometimes. Of course we moved away before winter when i wasn't even one year old. It gets too cold there...even for my liking...and I like the cold. But that's off topic for this thread or board or whatever you want to call it. Lol. Has anyone here ever seen an aurora? I've only seen pictures and videos. I'd love more than anything to see one in person someday. Luckly, I have a long time to go...only being 13 and all. Lucky me! Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.