Where is the Moon 2 Days After New Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skyone

I'm home over the break, and my sister (she's 13) has a few questions for a project that I don't have the answers for. Hopefully, someone can help her. <br /><br />Here she is.....<br /><br />Ok, so two days after the new moon(waxing crescent), does the moon appear at the western or eastern edge of our horizon and would it be positioned in the southwest or southeast? Supposedly the moon moves from east to west, so that'd mean that the moon would be in the southeast at this time of the month... But according to all the internet sites that we visited, the moon would be in the southwest. So exactly where would it be?<br /><br />Sorry, I'm very naiive and ignorant...

Q

qso1

I do not know your geographical location but unless<br />your close to the north or south pole, the moon will<br />generally appear in the northeast well after Sun<br />rise from the east coast U.S.A this time of year,<br />southeast in summertime.<br /><br />The moon always rises in the east (East horizon) and<br />sets in the west.<br /><br />By Sunset, around 7 P.M. January 3, 2006. The moon will<br />appear in the southwest as a very thin cresent, I forget<br />whether its waxing or waning but probably waxing.<br /><br />See attached jpeg for an over the north pole view of the<br />moons orbital traverse.<br /><br />Don't be sorry to ask a question, the only ignorant question is that not asked. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

skyone

Oh, thank you!! Your information was very helpful. We're located near San Francisco, CA, by the way.<br /><br />So this means that the moon would be in the southwest around sunset, correct?

Q

qso1

Ive attached Starry Night images to further assist. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

I'm unable to put the images in one reply so heres the next image. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Next image. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

As viewed from San Fran. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

skyone

my sister using my profile again....:<br /><br />Wow, thank you!! Those pictures help tremendously. I understand the information much more now... It's clearer. You didn't have to go through all that trouble to get the images, though... I feel bad. Thanks again!! ^-^

T

thalion

Two more tips...<br /><br />1.) Though the Moon appears to rise in the east and set in the west, its actual movement is from our west to east. That's why it rises about 50 minutes later each day.<br /><br />2.) The Moon's synodic period--relative to the Sun--is 29.5 days. That means that the Moon moves eastward about 9 degrees a day--again, relative to the Sun, a measure which I think is most useful for predicting phases and whatnot, as well as how long it's above the horizon, when it rises and sets, etc. However, its sidereal motion, which is relative to the "fixed" stars, is over 13 degrees a day.

Q

qso1

No problem, as I am not a professional astronomer myself, I find it much easier to explain graphically with whatever resources are available.<br /><br />No need to feel bad at all. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts