• We hope all of you have a great holiday season and an incredible New Year. Thanks so much for being part of the Space community!

Why are Hubble pix square now, not irregular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B_Cary

I'm sorry if this has been asked recently--this forum is so large that I gave up looking for another post!

My poster of the original Hubble Deep Field has one edge like a stairstep. Pictures of the Ultra-Deep Field(s) are square. Is someone artistically cropping the pictures? If so, I want the extra galaxies back! Or are they really coming out square now? Why? (The mirror still has the original error, as far as I know.)

Many thanks!

M

MeteorWayne

During the time when the original defective mirror was being corrected by a set of lenses (actually mirrors) part of the field was not available.

We are now two repair/improvement missions past that, so let's just enjoy the view, and the bandwidth we have now! )

S

SpaceTas

The old wide field planetary camera (WFPiC 2) consisted of 2 sets of CCD's, the outside 3 chips had larger pixels than the inner square. These made up the staircase. This camera was replaced in the last servicing mission. The new camera has 2 sets rectangular chips one for the UV+ Visible and the other IR. There is also the ACS a survey ccd camera, also rectangular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts